Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Purchase of MTN shares

Not applicable
Is it a good time to invest in MTN or should I sit and wait. I am a long term investor and I really like this business but obviously the cheaper the better
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Not applicable
i say wait gonna go down a bit
0 Kudos
chivas
Contributor
Great long term share and rand hedge. Wait for it to go back to R80's before getting in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also think that it is going to go down. A 25% climb off no real SENS anouncement, other than a directors dealing, has to retrace, even if we are not in a bear market.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Wasn't sure how to advise you yesterday, but now I can definitely say wait for the retrace, it should happen this week. From your long term perspective you'll be able to buy more shares, from my short term perspective I'll make a quick buck on the way down and ride a call warrant on the way back up. Then again this is just my opinion and the market is not behaving rationally at the moment, I've already lost money on this share by making the wrong call on its direction.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
YESterdays charts show going down buy a put warrant and ride it down watch the candles you will have a better entry/exit
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks a lot guys. seems to very volatile today, just like the market, but struggling to break 110. Rate Im gonna wait for a few days and hope she comes down.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shard, LN - are you guys using warrants or SSF's to short MTN. I know this has been flogged to death, but I am wondering whether warrants smooth out the volatility a bit?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shard, LN - are you guys using warrants or SSF's to short MTN. I know this has been flogged to death, but I am wondering whether warrants smooth out the volatility a bit?
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I use warrants, new to SSF's so not so keen to make large bets with them. Only problem is all currently used warrants are out of whack in terms of strike price, this just lowers there liquidity and as you can expect most of the puts are in the money. I prefer trading warrants but only when they're hovering just out of the money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you guys sure this share is coming down. I've spoken to a few other folk who are under the same impression but it's having a field day.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
IMO Thats not the share performing, the market is up to something and I think its going to end with alot of unhappy people.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
Watch this one Fly!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think it will come down aswell. Its hovering at strong resistance and is overbought.
0 Kudos
moomoo
Contributor
For some reason MTN is being bullish again and its hurting :( Now on the other hand sasol is being bearish and its hurting too :( Why cant they just switch around!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
lets see tomoro, only the close price counts
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MTN has now moved something like 38% off its lows in the space of 7 days. Crazy! I am no pessimist, but bear markets don't correct themselves overnight. As a trader, I believe in percentage odds, the odds are not in favour of MTN climbing the 10% minimum I would personally require for a profitable trade. Having said that though, I have no idea how to set an entry point for a short on this one. Maybe stick to day trading it?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
smart_mover - also suggest you check out OST's technical analysis on MTN. It confirms what all of us in this thread are worried about
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Only problem is that according to the report MTN just alerted us that its a bull.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
got out of my longs for a decent profit at 115 2day and went long acl at 86. Tis a sure sign that mtn is going to the moon and acl to the doldrums!...
0 Kudos