Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Qualified to trade - repost

Alibaba
Contributor
People who have learned anything whatsoever about trading with qualifications are obviously not doing it, I'm a botanist but eyeing that Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) course.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
A botanist .... good grief. Now its plants, animals, rocks and flowers and things ..... are any of you getting anywhere in the trading platform?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
i studied photography and film .. but never passed anything ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Business Management, Psychology and Farming... They all contribute well in some strange way, lol
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
peter piper - that is a good combination I think - do you consider your trading to be ok, or better than ok, or somewhere in the lacking department?
0 Kudos
qwest
Frequent Contributor
start by first killing all the spring washers and +55.cause 55 is my magical no
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
You're over qualified from your ex beach-bum status. That gives you a PhD in the art of laziness. You should be extremely good at doing this - and word on the street has it that you are.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Better than farming which is okay. Trading books and education definitely improves trading. I'm sure I won't be actually farming and just smoke pipe on the stoep if I have more knowledge and experience in trading...
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
SPB, maybe you were on the wrong side of the cameras
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BCompt. Hons Too greedy to be a good trader and no degree can train that out of one. BUT it certainly helps with the investing side having prep'd a ton of financials.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ja THRESHOLD, I suppose you aimed for CA, its a bliksem if you dont pass all 4 subjects in one year, and have to go for second best hons..
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Contributor
Saash, as a botanist I have learned to recognise patterns in what seems like chaos, you can imagine millions of different plants, each with their own specific characteristics but more compelling is that every tree or plant has a habit... the way it forms, its shape and the way the leaves and stems are arranged (even a bit of the old golden ratio at times) But it is this skill that I deploy in TA and does it work? I dont know for sure yet (2 years trading) but it forms the basis of my "personal System". I'm not unsuccessful at trading yet.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I dunno if I buy this one - I'm gullible, but gosh really - I know our charts make patterns, but they look NOTHING like the veins in leaves, or branches or roots and other ....
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
We have our own . . . . S-curves, normal distribution, etc. Those of us in the natural sciences (with a bit of a numerical background) tend to see these patterns. It's just a representation of a phenonmenon such as h&s, double to, fibs, elloit wave, etc do so for the market. Some of this patterns are common to both.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
NO! MOOSEDAWG, I hated the degree - a bore. Started a computer company while doing military service with SARS, made too much money and didn't bother to complete the thing.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
NOPE MOOSEDAWG, I hated the degree - a bore. Started a computer company while doing military service with SARS, made too much money and didn't bother to complete the thing.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Mech engineering diploma and a B.com. Lots of experience running a business, last couple of years a motor dealership so it was relatively easy to get involved with a few shares but, trading phew! that is another story. A head for figures and tons of discipline required irrespective of the qualification.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Nope nothing nada, figure if there are so many people loosing, somebody must be winning, OST did the rest, their TA and my money make a good pair
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Contributor
They are exactly the same, TA charts not unlike natural patterns are only a reflection of their inherent pattern, other influencing factors & fundamental variables like vitality/growth, temperature/sentiment, climatic changes/trends, seasonality, unforseen events/environmental disasters, life expectation/turnover/PE etc. Many shares, not all, have their own identifiable habits IMO.
0 Kudos