Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Question for wine drinkers

Brommie
Frequent Contributor
Is it possible to produce 8 ton Cabernet Sauvignon, annually, from 6 ha vineyard?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
DST
Super Contributor
According to many winemakers, over-cropping is the ultimate sin of grapegrowers. In France, the Cotes du Rhone trade association recently hired vineyard inspectors to check that grape yields didn't exceed the authorized limit of 2.5 tons per acre. The move is part of a crackdown to enforce the regulations governing Appellations d'Origine (AOCs). Where yields exceed the limit, the resulting wine may be downgraded to vin du pays.
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
Comprehensive answer. Thanks, now we also know.
0 Kudos
Luigi
Occasional Contributor
Brommie remember 1 ha= 2.47 Acre thus in France they limit themselves to just over six tons per ha. In RSA where the climate is warmer you easily get good quality from 8 tons per one ha. Are you going to plant?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Naw, its becaws the French is lazy. They don't stomp hard enough.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Are you running a profitability analysis of wine making vs trading - or is this just a hypathetical "Is it actually possible" study. I'm not a wine maker - I would still bet that yield is going to fluctuate annually based on rainfall, soil nutrition, staff issues, etc. And some years will probably give you better quality cab than others.
0 Kudos
Luigi
Occasional Contributor
Saash: Mother nature will determine quatity and quality.With pruning,water ect. you can also manipulte quantity and quality.Profitabilty of wine making versus trading. Only thing I can say that at least you can drink for free at wine making.
0 Kudos
Sharkie
Occasional Contributor
In the Northern Cape under irrigation it is possible to get 8 ton per ha, highest was 14 tons /ha with Cabernet sauvignon. Colombard's (a white cultivar) yield is from 25 to 50 tons /ha under irrigation.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Im interested in how much wine i can drink from 6ha
0 Kudos
Luigi
Occasional Contributor
Maddod: 6ha @ 8 tons/ ha @ 700 liters per ton = 33600 liter =44800 Bottels = babelaas
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
After holding SHFSTA i have already drank half of it
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sigh, it's the yoof of today, dude. Spend too much time in front of a computer screen and not enough time doin the real important calculations. I blame the educashion system.
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
This might be hipothetical but I am considering the oppertunity to buy (I think it might be reasonably priced) 17 ha of which 9ha is existing Cabernet vineyard. The rest is described as "mixed grapes".
0 Kudos