Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Question?

Salv
Frequent Contributor
is it fair to say that the volume that is traded on a particular day indicates how strong the price move on that day was. For example 16% odd down on AGL on friday was backed by a good 3 bil in volume traded. My logic says that this is therefore a significant price shift, that wont easily be regained. If my above logic is correct, what indicators are available to do a price to volume comparison? Thx
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
yes ...volume is far far too often ignored... the market never like to show its hand but with volume it flashes its hand inadvertently giving u a good look at the hand....u will see the idiots always attribute far too much to low volume days...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
volume is important .. the opposite is a move on small volume doesn't inspire confidence ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
I see, so when trying to take volume into account is it just a matter of having an understanding of what the average volume for a particular share is, and the then just doing a comparison of the volume versus that average to identify if it is a strong or weak price move? Or is there a specific indicator, such as RSI ROm ect that uses a formula to give u an idication?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Alexander Elder has something called a force indicator which combines price and volume and is very useful IMHO.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Vitorc, How do u find the best way to use the Force index when trading? DO you use the [2] or [13]? thx
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
Were could i get this indicator from, ive tride doing it myself in excel but the volume data that i download of OST has commas in it which means i cant use it in excel formulas :/
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
what is IMHO?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Use Find & Replace to remove the commas, then format the cells as numbers...On the OST charts there is an indicator called OBV (on balance volume)see this link for an explanation...http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:on_balance_volume..hope this helps
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Do you possible know which software incorprated FORCE INDEX indicator?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
IMHO - In my honest opnion. Amibroker & Metastock have a scripting language built-in. So you can write/download these indicators. I have downloaded the Amibroker script for force indicator.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Its one of a couple of indicators I use. Its the last one I look at and I use it as confirmation. When it moves steeply/strongly towards zero I trade in that direction.
0 Kudos