Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

REGRETS

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Who has become wedded to a stock and regrets it? Or, surely, who hasn't? ALAN GRAY and SAPPI, HARMONY . CLIVE ROFFEY and the GOLDIES. Personally - I have convinced myself to buy (and MOSTLY dispose of) HVL, SSK, SAN, IRA and others in the recent past. In every case - they were shares that I had to "sell" myself on. They didn't come naturally.
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
Not applicable
Sounds to me like you are having problems with the passive 'buy and hold' strategy. This is a debate that will generate a tail as long as the old 'ALSI - where to today' threads.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Not so much that - more a matter of buying or keeping despite your better judgement. And then regretting it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you mean like my @%$#% pallinghursts?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BINGO! You look back and think "Why the hell did I buy these things. They are at odds with everything I believe." Followed by: "Why didn't I sell them - I knew they were carp." Usually due to greed.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Pick me, Pick me....Buildmax - what a Dog at the moment. Bought at 60 odd, 6 years ago, watched it up to 520, had a sell order in at 521, then watched it all the way back down to 12....whhaaaaaa! I keep it there as a sober reminder how not to do things. Anyway the miniscule amount I would get now, is not worth the sale. That flippin 1 cent!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I'm in cash ;-)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Skaaptjop - Sell your PGL's to me. I'm right there @363c offer.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I generally have a handful of stocks I trade cause I get a "feel" for them. Sentiment + Tech anal often give happyness. ANG and GFI recently have not brought me happyness. So I went past falling in love. I attempted to look at the fundamentals. I wrote this last night out of sheer frustration http://paulfcannell.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/they-say-you-shouldnt-fall-in-love-with-your-investment... As a wise man once said. The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvant. And Stoploss :)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Here's a piece of advice that makes all kind of sense: ONLY TRADE SHARES THAT YOU WOULD INVEST IN! That keeps you in quality issues that always stage a comeback. This is traders version of Warren Buffets take: "If you aren't prepared to hold a stock forever - then don't consider owning it even for 1 day."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Paul if one should use the rand gold price it paints a different picture, I do believe that Gold mining has become to expensive,cost to extract the gold ect and most gold co just s*****e through..There is probably some value in Gold shares, but think the underlying shows more value in the long run
0 Kudos
Not applicable
who is censoring my words?the s** is s-c-r-a-p-e
0 Kudos
conradl
Contributor
African Cellular Towers was a disaster for me, bought at 108c now 10c, rubbish I say. And my "gut" told me not to buy these shares...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no .. terribale advice .. suggests that than a bad trade would be allowed to become an investment .. and a bad investment at that ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Nonsense - traders use a stop loss!. It is intended to protect the trader from the pschologically damaging: "Why did I buy that thing" syndrome. AND trading is very much about the psychological of the game.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
...psychological effecst of the game / psychlogy of the game.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Perhaps the inverse applies to trading on the short side...? LoL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Threshold, I agree with Simon on this one - the whole premise of trading is that fundamentals are irrelevant, price action is the driver. If you followed your strategy, you would probably stay away from half the momentum stocks out there - would you have traded Capitec, Naspers, Sacoil? But all these made fortunes for traders. Pick what is hot - leave the emotions out of it.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I agree with simon on the trading comment. Plus ive traded things like the vix, gold silver ratio alsi .. I cant own those so what I cant trade em. Stupid. Frost, thier income statement shows they are profitable in rand terms. Remember that SA isnt their only group of mines. I think their ghana mines will be their next winners. But yes there is less value there than once was. Strikes dont help :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
as a trader you bought it because your system said buy .. nothing to do with being a good or bad company .. trading = chart .. investing = numbers ..
0 Kudos