Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

REM potential trade

Not applicable
Looking to short REM today. Oscillators overbought. Spinning top/star in uptrend.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Werner_1
Super Contributor
The Finweek had a interesting article that there's roumers with REM about possible corporate action... the article even said that RMH could be included in this action... i dont know anything else to contribute, but would like to know whats going on i own RMH... but REM seems to be going strong, so if there is corporate action in the pipeline, just watch out and be fast to cover that short if the time comes... This could be totally nonsense, just saying what i read... good luck!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
sorry, my spelling on RUMOURS sucks...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The volume in REM is massive. Something is up. This will be a contra trend trade. Haven't shorted yet, trying to time it right...(famous last words...)
0 Kudos
ET
Contributor
Maybe Remgro will use its cash to buy the Ferreira/Dippenaar combined 15% holding in RMB? That would be about R6Bn
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Anything's possible. Based on my ideas of running my long term portfolio, i have some ideas of why Remgro operates as they do... Just think about it, if they accumulate the dividends, earnings of their portfolio companies over a timespan of 5 - 7 years (typically the time between market crashes/crises) one will always get excellent opportunities when markets are low as they are now, then the earnings build up cash reserves while the sames rise and when the next crash comes and brings opportunities they have enormous cash to acquire like mad... this is what Warren Buffett does and what Jamie Dimon from JPMorganChase also tells everyone, thats how they build these solid successful companies - i implemented this system a few years ago and it works unbelievably well... So REM might consider buying out the shareholders, maybe even take over the entire RMBH, thats possible because they wanted to create a more focused group, after unbundling BAT it lost lots of its size and core, now the core is banking and industrial, owning RMBH would be quite good - its also an excellent firm with excellent prospects and good cashflow and earnings power... i would like to own the whole company if i could...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
nah, volumes are not that large, they are just reaching pre-crash levels again. I think that hte NAV discount REM offered a couple of weeks ago is now gone, so its growth will now be dependant on the performance of its underlying portfolio. Pointless trying to speculate on holding companies such as REM, IMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Short at 102.29...
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Short REM? mmm watch out maybe at your own peril
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Exited with around 11% on initial margin.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dude, that kind of intraday trading on stocks is a recipe for losing a lot of money. A short so far got you 1.1% profit - and cost you around 0.8% in transaction fees - take spread costs & slippage into account, you would need to be right like 80-90% of the time
0 Kudos