Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Racist Comments on this Forum

Not applicable
Earlier today, org made a comment on the forum that went beyond his usual irritating comments. He made reference to a particular share was not faring that well, and alluded to the possibility of this being caused by its new "AA" management. This type of comment (from anyone) cannot be tolerated. It goes beyond the boundaries of free speech and is racist and hateful. I am surprised that nothing has been done about this yet, or maybe Standard Bank is prepared to allow this kind of behaviour because org is a source of income for it. What kind of corporate citizen is Standard Bank? Does it know that we live in a new South Africa where all of us are battling to overcome a legacy of division and hate based on racial divides? Surely something should be done? Interestingly, the rules governing the forum state the following: "Standard Financial Markets may withdraw the rights of access of a person posting any material which Standard Financial Markets deems to be undesirable, including but not limited to, postings that are vulgar, defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, hateful, threatening or invading of others privacy." I sincerely trust that Standard Bank will do something about this.
0 Kudos
85 REPLIES 85
Preston
Super Contributor
Greg, i have followed ABUZZ advice, when he suggested that the Forum is an additional feature. Use it or basically lose it. I have choosen the latter.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Let it also be noted that there are some good people on this forums.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There are indeed! I really have learned a lot from many, many have made me laugh (including you, Preston) - but a forum like this should never be used to propogate divisions in an already divided society. Everyone gets all huffed up when politicians make untoward comments in public. Why should we not do something when someone who isn't a politician makes an untoward comment in public?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
should never be used to propogate divisions in an already divided society.. I agree with your statement. I know a few directors at SBK , maybe i can pop them a mail when racist statement is made on this forum so that action can be taken from top down.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Greg,give me your e-mail address and i will send you an e-mail address of a very influential director of SBK.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
preston send it to me....u have my email....
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Don't worry about org Greg. If AA is successful in the long run you will have the last laugh. Now you can say to the rest of us that AA is good for the country and we can invest in so and so shares.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Greg S, sure and it has been deleted. Two things; firstly we do not spend our lives policing the forum so posts can not always be pulled immediately. But also understand that if we try and turn this forum into a model of politeness and good behaviour then pretty much every post is deleted.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Accepted - but I am sure that you will appreciate the seriousness of that particular posting.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I dunno Simon...you seem to very vigilant......
0 Kudos
Not applicable
We are sinking that we thinking.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Greg. Use the forum to educate yourself. Dont worry about racist comments, its not only isolated to SA. I am a woman of colour and sometimes, even if a comment is defamatory, it is only someones opinion and doesnt reflect the opinion of SFM. SFM is only a trading platform and bloody good at it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I will never read this forum again. All of you are like a bunch off kids at a pre-primary school. this is exactly why racism will never dissapear. Look at the feedback one remark got.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
.... another one goes down the toilet
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Go to USA Australia or UK and hope u find better remarks...
0 Kudos
Mic
Super Contributor
Get a live man...was a valid observation...truth hurts...?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
2cents,. but i am a male of colour [hahaha],.. i never read the defamatory comments, but quite frankly,.. As this country slides further down the p.. hole all sorts of goodie goodies are going to surface and tell us how we are not allowed to say these things,. we should memorise "die volk" and repeat "Rainbow Nation" thrice daily,.. What rubbish,. the graffitti is tagged all over the pavements folks,... Read em an weep,. then weep further,.. Like ya,.. we have seen the end of the Sub Prime crisis,. [hahahaha] and paulson Bernanke are doing sterling work,... Call the Spades fellas,. t's the only way to move beyond the woods n trees,..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Peoples of Coulour must EFFECTIVELY do something about their blatantly corrupt officials,. then the story line can change,. until then ek'sdom is going to stay the new flavour of debate,.. People can make a difference if they stop hiding behind their apparent colour differences,..
0 Kudos
Mic
Super Contributor
My 10:22 comment was for Greg S
0 Kudos