Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rand and gold

Not applicable
and look at the state of the economy then and now?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
That might be the trigger but I suspect it would be an east vs west thing figthing over the oil in the mid-east. In my opinion the west will start making inroads into the middle east then India and China might feel left out and team up against the west and the world will end up in one big s*****. What do I care . . . dead humans are good for the environment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ok... R13.61 then. Are we heading towards R5.7/$
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Go long on overseas economies - David Shaprio, plus his stock tips.= Anticipating a fall in the rand within the next year Shapiro's strategy is to go "for the foreign stocks. The commodity stocks, British American Tobacco (JSE:BTI), SAB (JSE:SAB), Richemont (JSE:CFR), those kind of stocks, Naspers, Aspen. Anybody that's earning money or earning dollars I'm going to buy. I think that with the global economy strengthening those are the companies that are going to do well".
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Jeepers, one can't say -s-c-r-a-p- on this site.
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
There's an easier solution. Every time I've gone on an overseas holiday during the last 10 years the Rand has plummeted to 12 month low. Last year hit R8 as I bought forex for Spain in April then went over R11 while I was in California in Oct. Get the South African Department of Trade and Industry to buy me ticket for Italy and the day I leave the Rand is toast...
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
As long as we dont see growth coming to this country as a 6 week event sometime in the winter of 2010. For the same argument: I have seen as many people making money as well by taking money out for the right reasons and not when some of the Institutions encouraged them to do it at R13 to the dollar.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
forget gold. Buy ISA, why well a chunk of their earnings in dollars and part in rand. They pay a div constnatly and had better results even in bad times... hmmm
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I'll let u guys know when to buy DRD... this year we all must make a killing on it
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ja, Simon that was an anomaly thanks to our dearly beloved Deutsche Bank brothers. They should've lined them up then against a wall and you should know what follow next. They got away with a slap on the wrist. All very discreet not to wake up too many sleeping dogs.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
or be killed by it ??
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I thought that was Dr Roffey's job ?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Don't worry ...I got that dog tamed. The Gold season is here, but the dog is still not in a hurry to run. Early December could be his time ;)
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
When the international monetary system was linked to gold, the latter managed the interdependence of the currency system, established an anchor for fixed exchange rates and stabilized inflation. When the gold standard broke down, these valuable functions were no longer performed and the world moved into a regime of permanent inflation.
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
When the international monetary system was linked to gold, the latter managed the interdependence of the currency system, established an anchor for fixed exchange rates and stabilized inflation. When the gold standard broke down, these valuable functions were no longer performed and the world moved into a regime of permanent inflation.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, an gold lost all value ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Gold went nuts Simon....850 bucks in 1980 after they let loose on that standard!!
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
simon simon,, do you care what the people on your show say?? follow the trend...dont listen to the noise
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an then $1000 in 2009 .. sure had its day in the sun .. but since then ..
0 Kudos