Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rand depreciation - It's coming

kwagga
Super Contributor
Ok, the trade deficit is a huge concern at the moment and the talking heads seems to agee on one thing. Coming rand depreciation. I would love to hear how you would invest to take max benefit from this. Some friends I have, have invested in some funds in Oz. My question is - Would it suit us better to maybe invest heavily in companies that serves as a creat rand hedge like Sasol, Bats, Richmont etc in coming weeks or do you think taking funds offsore to Oz or any other non - European a better option. My concern is transactions costs of actually investing offsore.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
You could passively invest through Allan Grays Orbis funds. But you are then betting that the offshore companies are going to improve as well as the purely ZAR depreciation.They have not performed well as yet. Personally, I trade USD/ZAR currency futures, but that is of course leveraged. You could buy Mar or Jun contracts to give yourself more time and less roll-overs.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
just buy NEWUSD .. 100% pure rand hedge
0 Kudos
janne
Frequent Contributor
I have some money abroad and it is not as simple process as one thinks - i have to declare taxes over there with all the implications and complications you can imagine. Transfer fees are not that big problem on a long term scale.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
when we won the rights to host the World Cup the rand was projected at R20 to the dollar, never happened, just saying.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
SAB;Steinhoff,BAT;Sasol;CSO;DATATEC;BIL;CFR DO IT!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Interesting option - Are there an expiry date linked to this ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
For something tracking the USD 100% it's price is pretty erratic.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, ETN's always have XP date - but tis way out, like 30 years or something ..
0 Kudos