Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rand to follow commodities down?

DEP
Super Contributor
If commodities sell off are sustain, expect Rand to weaken, Yes?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
_nova
Super Contributor
Yep, but watch the USD as that's the catalyst
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, but here is where it gets interesting. Rand price of platinum is up, marginally, so the plat companies are holding their own. Plat is down about 0.5% which is offset by rand gain. Since the plat stocks are not dual listed, their prices are stable, and volumes traded are low. Commodity prices that are dual listed, eg AGL and BHP, are taking a bigger hammering, since the fall in their shareprice overseas is in excess of rand gains, so no offset benefits - and volumes are relatively high. Conclusion, hold your SA listed stocks, that will benefit from the rand gain.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so far, my theory seems to be holding water. JSE listed resources either up or holding their own. Foreign listings getting caned.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well no .. INL down less then ASA .. GND down twice average .. really all that is being hit is miners (ex plat coz the friday data was good for plat but bad for gold) ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hey, it is a theory which is mine (quote, unquote for all the monty python fans) Actually, I was only refering to resources. Anglo down heavily, but its constituent parts, KIO, EXX (ok, maybe not), AMS seem to be holding water. Well, OK, its a rubbish theory, but it kept me in the trade, so maybe not so rubbish after all
0 Kudos
unknown
Contributor
skaaptjop ... would it be a good time to enter gold long. in ur opinion which shares should i look at. i have newgold and anglo in mind , any thots?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I don't go long on gold miners, only short. Newgold might be a good option, if you want to go long on gold.
0 Kudos