Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rates change 5 Feb

Not applicable
So - what's the consensus for the rates announcement that's due next week? Down 50 points?
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Banks flying as if its a 1%. Problably just 50.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
unfortunately u are probably correct,i wish that they would cut by at least one,good for prop,financial,shops etc....i think inflation has dropped in real terms to around nine prercent already....the figures they use are always about two month old!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Tito has no balls - 50 pts only
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, 300 up or down ?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
she is just counting her smarties again..
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
It should be 100 basis points, but MPC conservative and will only grant 50bp. Watch the Banks tank then!
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
You think I should exit my long positions on banks. Had quite a ride on SBK from R71 to now. I think there is still a bit of feelgood left when barclays and absa report in the next week or so.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why will banks tank on 50 points ? especially seeing as 50 is currently the consensus and as such priced in ?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
john be half right. It was Chuckles. And that's now my official 5 minute record. For now anyway.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
They are pricing in 100bp - that is why they will tank.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Simon, Cees Bruggemans article on Moneyweb implies that 100 points priced into banks at the moment. But he does also motivate for 50pt cut only
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but why would the market price 100 pts, when the market consensus is for 50 ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but what I don;t understand is how the consensus (which is the market) can be 50, then everybody says it is pricing in 100?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
I can almost guarantee you that the Banks are not on fire because of 50bp expectation, but 100bp. Besides numerous participants have changed their forecast to 100bp now that cpix came in lower than expected. give it a day or so and the 'market' will adjust its 'consensus' - in the meantime the banks are rallying on 100bp.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
almost guarantee ???? cpix was lower by all of 0.1%, hardly thrilling .. and why the rally now for a rate cut .. why not last week, next week ?? an another theory, last week UK banks were losing 40% in afternoon .. would this not maybe have out pressure on our banks .. this week they all looking better .. could that not help our banks ?? see, one move many theories ..
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Keep watching the consensus - there will soon be talk of 100bp by majority of participants to census. Sure, there are many contributing factors, but this is a primary driver.
0 Kudos