Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Rates increase or not any ideas??

divz
Super Contributor
Talk is that Tito may not increase rates due to global credit crisis. Assuming 50bp already priced into the market what will effect be if no increase???
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no increase = bullish
0.5 increase = carry on
1.0 increase = sell with extra passion
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon... you don't think it will be anything other than 0.5 do you.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
An increase in the rate will make SA attractive because of higher interest rate enviroment. However if no increase (rather unlikely) then rand will continue to weaken and this will feed into the inflation target beeen exceed. (price of petrol will become more expensive in rand term) And if that happen Simon Brown will not get his Prime time exposure on CNBC Africa. Princess Leia , it is nice to put a face to Simon Brown ? Just joking after "And if..."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also be careful of effect of other markets on the Jse.Until that selling stops we are at their mercy..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
At what time will the governor make the interest rate announcement?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, no I don't. 0.5 is as much a cert as is possible. preston, ya flame an ... an err nothing . an last night the feed died (hmmm, heard better excuses before).
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, in all fairness, the feed was extremely bad. I was lucky i caught at least 20 sec of it... So now i know who Simon Brown is.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
preston, it was only 20 secs in total ...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Alway think Positive Simon Brown. Just think of the exposure your 20 sec have gained. You can always boast that you share the same platform with your CEO Jacko Maree...
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
is this feed on the net.. can we all see simon brown. What is the add?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
preston, lol. Indeed - would've been better if he followed me? Anyways was my 3rd on cnbc, and I got 2 more so fame will still find me.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, you guys are lucky , in that you qualify for "repo rate" for all your facilities including Home loan.. The institution where i am employed will even sell "ice" in winter.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
web page currently unavailable.. maybe the guys who made price streamer made it for him
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Sorry Dude. Webstreaming currently available on intranet.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Simon I would be careful if I were you, If we all get 15minutes of fame you just used your first minute on a bad connection to CNBC africa. Spend the last 14 minutes with more care.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, lol. YA, but it was only 20 seconds. So still lots left to get me fortune off the fame.
0 Kudos