Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Recommendations sought for SSF Trdg. Platform.

richardw
Super Contributor
Just a note - I've made 99% of my cash and trades from going long. I'm just very attuned to the downside because I do think we'll be lucky to get out of this without another recession, and a couple of Big Black Momma Swans.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Have you cashed in you chips yet? You should if thats the way you thinking.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Skaap ,he is not around because he was stupid....if you are long and you have not been stopped out now then your portfolio will need some hedging and if you are short make sure you are hedged...then the turbulence will keep the Swan white and in mid-air.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Trading only, this year. Very few stock purchases. Some, but 99% trading.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
rams, you got your strategies confused there boet. You hedge buy and hold portfolios, and you can only hedge it by going short. You can't, to my knowledge, hedge short positions - because going short means you are trading (it is a short term position). Therefore, having a long hedge on a short trade is counter productive or a zero sum gain. Investors hedge buy and hold portfolios, because they don't want to exit their holdings. This is particularly relevant for institutions, because to dump the stock is not as easy as for you and I, and to buy back again, in the quantities that htey need, even less so. Hence the hedge.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
no skaapie, you not understanding the concepts..read again:"if you are short make sure you are hedged".... it means short only if you have a cash long(Hedging employs various techniques but, basically, involves taking equal and opposite positions in two different markets (such as cash and futures markets).)
0 Kudos