Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Red December

Big_Bucks
Super Contributor
With petrol price increase looming,I'm going for TOPSBW for a quick punt tomorrow ... anybody agree?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
I'm a bit edgy with puts on the top40. Call me stupid idiot, but I avoid them like the plague. The top40 always goes up... always... (from a long term perspective), so the chances of catching it going down is much less than catching it when it rises. I'm in cash now and I hope December is blood red, which means I'll be able to buy a call warrant on it in January when it touches the 200MDA. Stupid, silly system? Well, it really worked for me this year! Good luck though, I hope it goes your way!
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I currently still hold a put, but I did not like the upwards move at close yesterday and don't like the upward gap on the opening this morning. Will watch it carefully and maybe close for a small profit.
0 Kudos
Viresh
Occasional Contributor
Yeah I agree with Wumpus. The thing with the Top 40 is that it includes market movers like Anglos and other resource shares that can really move the index. The bias to me always seems upwards, over time.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Big Bucks, you logic makes no sense. Chiefly the petrol increase has been known for a while, and as such is already priced into the market.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Wumpus...you are not a stupid idiot....the best of course is to have absolutely know bias .....just to be a curious observer and take the opportunities as they come.....when we have a clearly defined trend (and we still do longer term) it makes things easier if you have a bias...when the shorter term trends start to break down its really important to take each day or week or trade as they come....
0 Kudos