Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Regulations of opening up an investment company?

Not applicable
Hello Simon or anyonw else who can help me, i would like to open up an investment company,i'm 22years old and currently studying Bachelor of accountancy 2nd year in Wits, do you guys know of any requlations i must comply with in regard to these or any advice on how to go about starting up my company.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Samir
Super Contributor
There is a difference betweeen forming a company to make investments and forming a company to give investment advice. Which are you planning as there will be totally different rules and regulations. I presume that it is the former. Will it be a private company (less than 20 shareholders) or public unlisted company with more than 20 shareholders?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, i want an personal investment "vehicle" for now, but plan to be a fund manangement company in future, but i have realised that it's better to act in my own capacity, as from a tax point of view i have a lot of allowances and my tax rate is lower than an entities.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
If its a personal vehicle, then u better of in a CC where there is much less admin compared to a pty.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Should it be a business of giving personal advice, what regulations would have to be complied with. It is a question i have always wanted to know. What qualifications etc are needed to be allowed to say charge for investment advice.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
did you think of the SBC - Small Business Corporation laws on such investment vehicles? I think this could benefit ones investments, especially trading short term, less than R43k (i think) is tax-free, and 10% for anything below R300k(could be wrong on the exact amounts). So did anyone try this yet? is it possible to qualify as a SBC when trading Warrants and/or SSF's?
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Werner, you don't qualify for SBC if ur sole operations are share,ssf,warrants trading and/or investing. There is a long list of specific exclusions.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
can you show me where that list is on the internet?
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Werner, you can look at the link below. http://www.sars.gov.za/it/Brochures/Other%20Brochures/Tax%20Guide%20for%20Small%20Businesses%202005%... It opens up a PDF on the SARS website. Look at actual page number 15. In short (items relevant to this discussion): Not more than 20% of the total of all receipts of the company/close corporation may consist collectively of investment income and income from rendering a personal service. OR you can read the actual Income Tax Act.
0 Kudos