Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Reliable Techincal Indicators

Mr_S
Super Contributor
The main indicators i use when trading are: the stochastics, RSI, ROC,Volume, and my favourite, the bollinger bands, but i still seem not to have 100% confidence in these indicators. I need something that will help give me a strong confirmation, or hint as to weather my decision is right AND can be sustained for a while. Can anyone suggest something i should look into? Iv found the stochastics and bollinger quite reasonable tho. Thanks
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
BBS,VNK, Pivot points, price action
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Take your pick, Mr. S - no quick fix i'm afraid, lest we will all be winners all the time: Accelerator/Decelerator Oscillator - AC Accumulation/Distribution - A/D Alligator Average Directional Movement Index - ADX Average True Range - ATR Awesome Oscillator - AO Bollinger Bands - BB Commodity Channel Index - CCI DeMarker - DeM Elder-rays Envelopes Force Index - FRC Fractals Gator Oscillator - Gator Ichimoku Kinko Hyo Market Facilitation Index - BW MFI Momentum Money Flow Index - MFI Moving Average - MA Moving Average Convergence/Divergence - MACD Moving Average of Oscillator - OsMA On Balance Volume - OBV Parabolic SAR Relative Strength Index - RSI Relative Vigor Index - RVI Stochastic Oscillator Williams' Percent Range - %R Overlays Moving Averages - Chart overlays that show the 'average' value over time. Both Simple Moving Averages (SMAs) and Exponential Moving Averages (EMAs) are explained. Bollinger Bands - A chart overlay that shows the upper and lower limits of 'normal' price movements based on the Standard Deviation of prices. Keltner Channels - A chart overlay that shows upper and lower limits for price movements based on the Average True Range of prices. Moving Average Envelopes - A chart overlay consisting of a channel formed from simple moving averages. Parabolic SAR - A chart overlay that shows good 'trailing stop' (i.e., sell) points graphically. Price Channels - A chart overlay that shows a channel made from the highest high and lowest low for a given period of time. Volume by Price - A chart overlay with a horizontal histogram showing the amount of activity at various price levels. ZigZag - A chart overlay that shows filtered price movements that are greater than a given percentage. Indicators Accumulation/Distribution Line - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Aroon - Shows whether a stock is trending or oscillating. Average Directional Index (ADX) - Shows whether a stock is trending or oscillating. Average True Range (ATR) - Measures a stock's volatility. Bollinger Band Width - Shows the distance between a stock's Bollinger Bands. Commodity Channel Index (CCI) - Shows a stock's variation from its 'typical' price. Chaikin Money Flow (CMF) - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Alternative to Accumulation/Distribution Line. Chaikin Oscillator - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Based on Accumulation/Distribution Line. Force Index - A simple price-and-volume oscillator. Moving Average Convergence/Divergence (MACD) - Difference of two EMAs that shows a stock's momentum and direction. Money Flow Index (MFI) - Combines a stock's 'typical' price with its volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of the stock. On Balance Volume (OBV) - Combines price and volume in a very simple way to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Percentage Price Oscillator (PPO) - A percentage-based version of the MACD indicator. Percentage Volume Oscillator (PVO) - The PPO indicator applied to volume instead of price. Price Relative - Technical indicator that compares the performance of two stocks to each other by dividing their price data. Rabbitt Q-Rank - Paul Rabbit's proprietary indicator that rates a stock based on technical and fundamental factors. Rate of Change (ROC) and Momentum - Shows the speed at which a stock's price is changing. Relative Strength Index (RSI) - Shows how strongly a stock is moving in its current direction. Standard Deviation (Volatility) - A statistical measure of a stock's volatility. Stochastic Oscillator (Fast, Slow, and Full) - Shows how a stock's price is doing relative to past movements. Fast, Slow and Full Stochastics are explained. StochRSI - Combines Stochastics with the RSI indicator. Helps you see RSI changes more clearly. TRIX - A triple-smoothed moving average of price movements. Ultimate Oscillator - Combines long-term, mid-term and short-term moving averages into one number. Williams %R - Uses Stochastics to determine overbought and oversold levels. Introduction to Market Indicators - An in-depth introduction to popular market indicators found on StockCharts.com.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
If you could had 100% confidence in any indicator, then believe me it would have been discovered and so wildly used that you could automate it and sit on the beach.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Also some sma's as indication of the primary trend...and of course backtesting of the various indicators. Then add gutfeel, experience, a fair dollop of luck, some common sense, discipline, conviction and voila...before you know it, it's all gone?!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys. Experience and discipline are the 2 things im lacking :-) working on it tho!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hi, st, rsi and stuff are oscillator indicators, hence they work well in oscillating ( sidewards ) markets, but have a nasty habit of whipshawing in trending markets, one needs to back test these indicators by using trend filters, eg moving averages.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
keep it simple, I use 2 or 3 moving averages .. trading is not about the pretty charts that pretend to predict the future .. trading is about selling, the buying is meaningless - it just gets you into a trade .. the selling makes money and limits losses ..
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
I see there are tonnes of charts that one could use to trade but OST has only allowed the use of a few, doe this mean it thinks the ones they have provided are adequate for successful trading? or are these just the bare basics needed?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
basics .. the java charts here are not a full suite, rather a basic model which some find more then good enough while others want all the bells ..
0 Kudos