Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Resource bounce due ?

BAP
Regular Contributor
With the Dow down and resources taking a beating the last week or so is there perhaps a turnaround in the air soon?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
BAP
Regular Contributor
See - there goes platinum already. Am I good or what? Gold probably dependent upon US$ strength more than the rest.
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
WHich Plat. graph are you using Kitco?????
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
I just checked last Reuters compared to morning's oppening.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
FED meeting this week announcement on wed. Gold is never allowed to rise in the days before an FOMC meet. And yes I believe in manipulation by the US in the COMEX precious metals markets. But hey I could be wrong.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
who's doing the manipulation ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
one hopes its the russiam bride.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gold is never allowed to rise in the days before an FOMC meet, Admittedly I have done no back testing but is there any proof in this? If it is the case then will we see a run on gold after the meeting again? Who made these rules anyway? the FEDS? They cannot even do a decent job of quantitve easing for their own bond debt, how do they manipulate gold world wide?
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I dont really want to spark a whose manipulating the gold market story here simon, tho if you'd like we can discuss on email. In short (pun intended) the bullion banks JPMorgan HSBC and to a lesser degree Deuche Bank. The sheer volume of their short positions would indicate this. The bottom line is why is phycial metal so hard to come by (without large premiums) yet the price of the metals doesnt breakout (which would reduce supply and hence premiums) Thats the one argument, The other is that gov's (specifially the FED) through its various arms (ie JPMorgan) dont want the precious metal prices to rise just like they dont want long term treasury rates to rise. Why because the rising rates and metal prices show the inflation that is being generated by the central banks of the world. They are effectivly trying to talk down "inflation expectations" (dont even get me started on the fact that the US remove food and energy from their CPI) Bottom line if the public knew how money was being created throught the central banks and fractional reserve system they would be very very very scared and would look for a store of value. 4000 years of recorded history shows that EVERY government has debased its currency yet leading to inflation whereas gold has held its value (ie an ounce of gold today will buy you the same amount of goods and services that it did 10, 50, 100 years ago) Damn I got started even tho I didnt want to :) I could be wrong of course but I believe what I choose to believe.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
OK, that's an overly long answer full of theories .. spose the simple question is "are you profiting from this knowledge you have?" ..
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I have bought physical metal over the years and the answer is a definite YES! Sadly my trading skills leave much be desire and I can say up and down :) For anyone else reading who finds any of this remotly interesting have a look at this, specifially the piece by Ed Steer at the bottom. http://www.caseyresearch.com/displayDrp.php?e=true Clarification its part of the Doug Casey offering this bit is not part of the paid service.
0 Kudos