Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Retirement Fund

boing
Frequent Contributor
My retirement fund is quite flexible and we can choose how we want it invested from low risk to high risk - cash to equities. Every year we can switch once for free and R250 per switch after that. Currently I am invested in the high risk option. Which technical indicator can I use as a trigger for me to switch to something more low risk? Something like 120/200 day EMA? Obviously I do not want to switch too often.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
NO NO NO - I was a trustee on a provident fund for many years and watched some of this switching madness...it never really worked...timing markets is insane for 99% of pension fund investors. My only comment is hang in on to your "high risk" fund (maybe 60-65% stocks) - in reality it is probably NOT even that high risk as it is probably well diversified and will also have a large cash/bond % in order to be in line with regulations. You will thank me in time!
0 Kudos
el_nino
Contributor
remember regulation 28... your RA needs to be weighted according to those bands. unfair for young investors such as myself
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
your asset allocation needs to reflect the combination of asset classes that will provide you with the best opportunity to reach your goals established in terms of your longer term capital needs....( Reg 28 accepted)
0 Kudos