Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Riding the Gold train! Next stop $1100

Not applicable
The one that sought refugee status in SA. The guy with gold got mugged and killed long ago. ;-)
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
He he he at least the muggers know the value of gold. lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As for value of paper, SA currency up 20% vs Dollar. If you invested in SA currency you be much better off than Gold (Gold peaked at $1031) so only up $50 in a year= 1%
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Zimbabwe is your reason for buying gold ?? oivey ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
We've had this discussion before many times with the same SUSPECTS. If your fund was worth 10 Billion and u put your money into Gold since the bottom(2001) it will be worth 35 Billion at the moment. If you put your money into the DOW for the same period your fund was still worth 10 Billion. So the game AT THE MOMENT is Gold !!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I had 10 Billion i would be lazying somewhee and living of the really cr*ppy interest I could get in a silly money market fund. Why the risk on the market when i could earn more in interest than i could spend daily (sure to start with I would be splurging but even that would get boaring so eventually i would not even be spending my interest fast enough) IMO
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya boet we had this one before .. an the Q is always the same .. why 2001 ?? because it was the bottom .. perfect hindsight .. do the same math on every 7 year period since the US left the gold standard .. way way different picture ..
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
I think you goldies been watching one too many Roffey reviews
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an then of course, what if you put it into satrix40 rather then DJ ?? nobody claims the DJ has been a good investment over the last decade an most smart people have not been in a DJ etf ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Same chat as always , but you have to take pleasure in the fact that the bugs always have the same arguments. Its fun poking a little stick every now and then...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Unfortunately only a few with 'The 10 Billion' sit back and relax, majority try to make the 10 into 100 eish this is a world and a half. How do and make 'a have ' out of 'a have not'?. There are always more ways to skin a cat! and if you put 9 pregnant women in a room for a month it does not make a baby. If such a powerful word. None of us have it so we trade the price today and dream about the lost yesterdays.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Because Simon when the double bottom was completed on Gold in 2001 there were very doubts that the gold game is on and the smart money already started accumulating. Obviously the 7 year average is a rubbish indicator and I'll never look at it. In the longer run the DOW UNDER 10000 is a bargain because in 20 years time it will be 10 times more.so that is the other play that one can buy into when the gold run is finished.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the double bottom was completed on Gold in 2001 .. hind sight .. 100% hind sight ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
First bottom in 1999...second in 2001....Not a short term stuff here!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
never said short term .. said hind sight .. anyways .. oot ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
if you put 10 billion into gold in 1980 (the last high) it would be worth 12.2 billion and ino the dow over the same perriod 776 vs 10000 = 1188% increase...now that that sounds like a lot more than 35 billion now.. infact I am not even sure if I have enough zero's for that number...
0 Kudos
cope
Frequent Contributor
moer off a discussion and they are going to trade in gold. remember one thing. gold exist in pure gold (gold bar. money R,$,E exist in buildings, cars, credit cards ext. if you working with figures u starting using money that does not exist. remember you can sell gold in any country in the world from the biginning of times and it is going to be in the end of times aswell. the only time when money is good is when you can not buy on credit.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
The Americans cannot have a recovery and a strong dollar at the same time. As recovery gathers pace the only direction for interest rates is up; gold and inflation will move together. Major currencies have been and still are competing for weakness. Quantitative easing devalues a currency. It is apparent that the smart money is looking for safety in gold and for investment in select commodities (Baltic Dry Index also showing steady gains). Gold is still the safest alternative for preservation of buying power going forward. Gold mining shares will always be more volatile and not for the feint hearted, nor for the needy or greedy. Be a trader or medium term investor - its time for gold.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
DUDE YOU ARE TALKING *****>>> gold was $900 in 1980 today we are getting excited because its nearly 1100 that a rise of $200 dollars in 30 years...keeping pace with inflation my ass.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
its in a bull market,it might go to 5000 but that does not make it an inflation hedge...
0 Kudos