Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Risk Appetite

Not applicable
I am just wondering how geared traders prefer their portfolios to be. If your trading account has, let's say, R 50000, how much exposure would you feel comfortable enough having. Obviously different stokes for different folks. Personally I do not like to be exposed to more than 3 times my capital.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
I always work on a worst case scenario. If I cannot deal with the worst case scenario, financially or emotionally, I will not go for it no matter what potential rewards. This holds true for business deals, relationships, and trading.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Five, I like your way of thinking.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
So...trade as if there was an asteroid about to hit your city?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what you saying..invest off shore?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Go all in on the highest geared derivatives. If you go down, at least do a proper job of it.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
As a general rule most futures traders don't expose more than 2-6% ( google 2 percent rule ) of trading capital to the market at any one time on a trade. That means you're actually wasting your time if you don't start with at least R 250 000 in your portfolio. The idea is capital preservation. You cut your losses to a minimum; you go with the trend when you're in the money. That way you only need more than 50% of your trades to be successful and you live to trade another day when a trade turns against you. You have a fixed stop loss when entering and a fixed exit strategy before entering into a trade, and you stick to it. You need rules and you trade those rules with discipline and patience. You bet the house, you loose the farm.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
is this what Gareth usually use when trading SSF on summit tv?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes. It's a tried and tested rule that works world wide.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Bet the farm. If you win bonus. If not take a loan and buy another farm ....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah .. bet the neighbours farm .. if you win now you got a farm .. if you lose, well it was never your farm anyways ???
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
All new traders make the mistake of measuring risk in isolation. Risk is a function of position size and distance to stop loss. But, Real Risk also has to account for probability. This is the edge that trading a system consistently gives you. For example, if you have a win rate of 60%, then a trade risking 100 points to make 100 points is a 3 : 2 Reward:Risk and not 1 : 1 as many would believe. The higher your win rate, the lower your Real Risk and therefore the more you can risk per trade. If you understand this concept, you can make good returns with low risk.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
No, just that 'worst case' is usually far worse than you think it is!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
schweeet . .. I'll bet your farm.
0 Kudos