Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Risk Management and the number of shares in your portfolio

Brazen
Super Contributor
john, in my opinion the no.1 thing that reduces risk is time in the market. If you pick good, large cap, preferably TOP40 companies and hold them you will make money. The real risk to wealth comes from trying to be clever and call the market in the short term. Just buy good companies and hold them. Problem is it's so simple that everyone thinks there must be more to it.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And diversification gives you more chances to get it right. Sure, I bought the dog GFI cos gold was giving bullish signals and it was the complete wrong move as gold went up but miners went down. Also, while BIL and MTN have performed very well, when I first bought they weren't stars. BIL was always a bit of a plodder but a good divi payer, it's only been recently that it rocketed. Point is I didn't forsee BILs rise and I didn't forsee GFIs fall. And that's why diversification builds wealth over time.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Brazen the biggest problem with a long term strategy is that it is soooooo boring. Most people are looking for action. Being patient is the No. 1 rule when investing. Ask me, I'm so damn bored.The compounding makes up for it though.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
So true louisg! That's why I have a separate trading account so I can sometimes buy shares like HAR or gamble on bottom feeders or warrants. Trading the markets is FUN FUN FUN, but better not with long term capital. Our own very smart SimonPB always says he has his til death to us part porfolio and then trades in order to drink better wine (or not as the case may be.)
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
It's like a married person having a bit on the side.Know what I mean?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Bwhahahahaha! Do you know what you mean Russ? Does Mrs Russ?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
There's never been a Mrs.Russ,Brazen.I've only been the bit on the side.How's Gravy enjoying Dubai?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
He's in Abu Dhabi and overall enjoying it. Things not so enjoyable for Gravy are limited wine and working 6 or 7 days a week til 9 at night.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Interesting part of the world tho and awash with cash. He's over there cos they're launching a daily broadsheet, the first in Abu Dhabi. They've hired 200 media people from around the world, from papers like NY Times, Washington Post, WSJ etc. The editor was the editor of the Daily Telegraph before this post. They cherry pick skills from aound the world and pay top dollar for them. Interesting, when papers all over the world are in the doldrums, this one cannot accommodate all the advertisers who want to advertise. It's boom time there.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Sounds great.Not sure if that would be my kind of place.I suppose if the money's good it's easier to work long hours and sacrifice a few pleasures.Meanwhile I'll try to make my fortune the lazy man's way,here at OST. So far it's only made me poorer.The fun bit on the side often comes at a price!There's still a lot to be said for a good long-term portfolio.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So what you telling us is that your man, our gravy, is actually a cherry who got plucked among some serriously qualified newspaper guys.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL! Precisely, Gravy's made it pretty far in life on a wing and prayer. He wings it and others end up praying.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Fortune favours the brave. Tx have a good week end.
0 Kudos