Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SB OST Suggestions

Not applicable
Hi SBG Please look in to creating a comprehensive Standard Online Share Trading App for all major smartphones. Would be great to have full trade capability, charts are not a major - as there's other apps for that (but would be nice if included), and everything else your website offers including research articles. I find website currently doesn't browse well at all on mobile phone. Keep ahead of the game! Cheers
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Double thumbs up!!!
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
oh,yes please!!! That would be my ideal Christmas present from OST (besides dropping the charges)...hehe.
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
oh,yes please!!! That would be my ideal Christmas present from OST (besides dropping the charges)...hehe.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but you can trade from your smart phone (an even from a dumb phone) .. 0860 121 161 ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon are you joking? Please take a look at a few competitors already offering similar products. Natwest trading app. TD Securities. The list goes on. People want access to info on the go as well as the ability to act on information at their convenience. I highly doubt calling your broker in the middle of your lunch break is a desirable option for many. From SBG perspective, this could potentially increase trading volume, equals more income from client trading fee's. Plus you have the chance to be first to market (in SA) and potentially convince competitor clients to make the switch to SB OST.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon are you joking? Please take a look at a few competitors already offering similar products. Natwest trading app. TD Securities. The list goes on. People want access to info on the go as well as the ability to act on information at their convenience. I highly doubt calling your broker in the middle of your lunch break is a desirable option for many. From SBG perspective, this could potentially increase trading volume, equals more income from client trading fee's. Plus you have the chance to be first to market (in SA) and potentially convince competitor clients to make the switch to SB OST.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so you can't call your broker in the middle of lunch, but you can play on your phone ?? still don't get it ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The man wants trading during bathroom breaks, Simon. Surely you understand the serious qualitative difference between a bit of clicking, and yabbering to the call centre from a toilet stall?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ah, OK I understand now ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Honestly, though, I think being able to get instant price info and do basic trades on a screen is much better than calling someone. I guess there'll be a transition to HTML5 on all similar sites at some point - once Microsoft EOL's Silverlight in SBK's case - and that'll work across all platforms.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
see I don't get the desire to trade any time anywhere all the time .. to what end ?? it the scarcity complex and more likely to lead to bad trading than good ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
We kinda went through this with OST not working with Chrome etc, didn't we? At some point it'll get there, after many discussions of why and why not, who needs it and why they shouldn't. Could be excellent, when you're in Woolies and the queue is too long, short them. Ha.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hmmm, I would suggest the chrome issue was some what different .. an trading in the woolies Q is exactly my point, gonna be a very expensive Q ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
It really wasn't meant to be an example of a rational thing to do, you understand. :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I know, but that is what many want to do .. in short they let trading rule their life .. been there and it has zero upside ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Saw a great article about US traders waking up at 2:30am to get the EU news. One dude has 6 screens at the foot of his bed. His wife is not amused.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, an worse is that thwere is no trading edge to watching news everybody else is also eatching ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think you are all missing the point. This is not a discussion weighing up the odds of active vs passive trading strategies and the profitability of each approach. I for one am not an advocate of extremely active trading. The point is simply that there is an opportunity to provide a service for which there is demand to allow people an easier means of accessibility to act on whatever they choose to. All I'm saying is it would be convenient to check up on my portfolio at my own preferable time with the option to trade on any info I feel necessary for my long term portfolio. The website is currently cumbersome to browse on mobile and a service that offers people the ability to access info on the go would be helpful. If other major banks already provide this service why are you so averse to looking in to it? Over an out
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but if it's a long term portfolio why can't it wait a few hours ?? your edge on a long term is not speed or reaction time ..
0 Kudos