Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SGL

RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Sibanye gold Bulling its way through its listing price!
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
Yep - just exited my position. A hard rule of mine - exit on a big move up
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Yep, skaap, you prob right. I exited half, will trail stop on remainder. $1290 critical level for gold? Above that it could get fresh legs.
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
SGL has run very hard now. Exited at R19.56. Still want gold mine exposure in short term so swopped to GFI on upward break thru 12m resistance
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
SGLSBF has increased in price by 55% since 31 Jan 2014....I intend selling on the 18 Feb, two days before declaration....Also keeping a trailing stop-loss of 9% in place in case of early reversal.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
eish - hate it when a plan doesn't come together. An additional 5% gain would have been nice. Still, a plan is a plan and I am out
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Has gold turned negative in short term? Exited GFI long early today.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well, something has to give - either gold or the indices. Because the first is traditionally a hedge against the latter. So when your hedge is running, and the market is running - there is a bit of a disconnect - innit? I am not a gold pundit at all - but as a trader, if I had to guess where my next big 50% return is going to come from, I think SGL is as likely as anything. Still a low PE, operational improvements (yes - from a gold miner nogal!) and a rising gold price. So an uptick in gold will result in an exponential increase in profit for SGL. For the first time in my trading history - I am actually bullish on gold miners (although a pullback is probably on the cards).
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
....But i thought you are out of this market?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
haven't taken a position yet - I am out until 1 march. Need to book my profits - tax reasons
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Well expressed, Skaap
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
@ Skaap, When you say you out, are you referring to geared instruments eg CFDs, SSF etc in other words you trading portfolio? Would be interesting to know why.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes. My investment holdings are still in tact. I have closed out all my geared positions to book revenue for my year end. It is for tax reasons mainly so as to avoid SARS viewing my consulting income as self employed rather than as a company. I also want to avoid VAT registration - since I am rather reluctant to have SARS chew into 15% of my top line.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Thanks for the reply, interesting. On my CFDs and SSFs (5 accounts) I calculate my profit for the year on each account and transfer 40% of that figure for Prov tax payment. I also set myself a limit for each account and at financial year end transfer the surplus to my long term portfolios.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
That is a extremely well disciplined strategy.
0 Kudos