Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SHF

boing
Frequent Contributor
If I buy shf share installments now and I manage to sell it on Monday and the only drop in the share price was the dividend, would i be able to make a profit due to the fact that a full dividend gets paid?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
saash
Super Contributor
And can we take shorts over Astral over-night when the divi gets paid. Thereby earning the divi on the holding of the share/instalment, while profiting from the short as well?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Come on guys! If I buy a quart of Hansa, then drink it over the weekend, can I get all my money back on Monday. No, because the beer is gone - so all I will get is the fair price for the empty. Its as simple as that.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Yeah, but can I fill it with a substitute and feed it to one of my mates as a beer.
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Just so that I know I understand this correctly. Assume SHF is R20 and the share installment is R10. I buy a 1000 SI's at R10. The divi is 50c and I receive R500. At the same time all my SI's will drop from R10 to R9-50? (All other things being equal)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
correct, all things being equal.
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Thanks. But does this next sentence make sense? Can SI's be a long term investment strategy (especially with rollovers) because the dividend yield as a % of capital employed is so much better than investing in ordinary shares.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya they can (spose it depends on long term defination), but in short with the roll over feature you have one entry and can then hold pretty much forever (albeit I hate that word) and as you say higher div yield and some gearing. Risks are; crash/bear market is going to hurt more due to gearing (will you have the courage to hang on?), issuer does not issue a new instalment when one expires (not very likely, but possible).
0 Kudos