Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SHOPRITE - Still a long term hold?

Mr_S
Super Contributor
Im really looking to add this to my long term portfolio for the next 5 - 10 years, but im looking for the right entry point, im especially excited about their african prospects. At the moment the current PE (close to 30) is really putting me off. The company seems very solid but these valuations are really too high, does one ignore it and look towards its longer term prospects, or do i wait for a possible drop in the price (unlikely it seems)...
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WES
Super Contributor
Foreigners have been buying up our retailers and not locals, we all know that when foreigners decide to sell they SELL and the reason might not be for reasons know to us, it might just be better investment oppertunities elswhere in the world, I will be wary to buy shoprite now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, it is a tough one. High PE implies a growth stock, and companies like Naspers have been in the upper 20's for years now. Personally, I prefer Mr Price. Whitey Basson was talking about a R44m impairment on a container of perishable goods in some African country - as an indicator of supply chain logistics challenges. Clothing seems to be a safer bet, IMO, and Mr Price is all over Africa, if you have ever travelled there.
0 Kudos