Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SHP not dropping

Not applicable
Why is Shoprite not dropping? It seems to be the only share that hasn't had a drop ever since the stock market has been on a downward spiral. It is continuing upwards though there seems to be resistance at R50.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
Shoprite is extremely resiliant... its got liquid cash and basically running through africa... that its a serious stronghold. Dividend yield of +4%
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Cos we all getting so poor that we not shopping an WHL anymore, so SHP is making record sales, soaking up market share - haven't checked the numbers see, this is just a guess.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Check it's business.It has nothing but it makes money by selling stock it has not paid for and making money on cash it keeps.With high inflation and high interest rates it has a lot going in it's favour
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
RMH also resilient. have to look at the recession proof stocks - On Bloomberg they calling Consumer Staples and Healthcare. So SHP right in the right mix. WHL also holding up well.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
So where does Pick n pay fit in the picture along side SHP?
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
PIK should also be holding up, but I don't know why not. Maybe the previous post about SHP having loads of cash helps it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe i spoke too soon, down 5.11% todat for the first time. i had been watching it for the past three weeks to short it. i think this is what i'd been waiting for.
0 Kudos