Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SHP

Russ
Super Contributor
Interesting that directors are buying shares quite heavily (see today's sens)even after SHP has run so hard.Add this to Wiese's R30 million or so SSF's a couple of months ago and it makes you wonder what's cooking here.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
Well, its trading at a pe of 19 or 20, vs massmart's pe of 22+. it has shown the best growth out of the retailers, has the strongest expansion strategy, and has grown its market share. Definitely my pick out of the retail sector, but for trading only - I think SHP carries too much risk for me at the moment from a long term perspective(recovery fully priced, with a massive expansion strategy = big capex and more borrowing).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just a week or two ago people including many if not most analysts were saying sell. shows how dicey analysts predictions can be
0 Kudos
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
I've changed my trading strategy a year ago: Buy good companies, never sell. Works for me. SHP is one of the companies I bought. It remains one of my favourites.
0 Kudos
Spoegs
Contributor
SHP was, according to the analysts, a sell from at least February to the results presentation. Going with the analysts forecasts (and not buying) means that you would have missed out on share price increase from R72 odd to wherever it is now, plus the interim and possibly some of the final dividend. My philosophy - You have to have your own view of the share. My view - Shoprite is nicely priced just below the R80 level (but thats just my view). Sometimes your views are wrong - I thought Gijima was good value at the R0.81 level - but the market doesn't seem to agree with me.
0 Kudos