Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SLM SSF is suffering

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I went long of an SLM SSF trade at 1590. The trade is suffering at the moment. Just wondering wether to exit at a loss or hang in there?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
Why did you go long there when the rest of the market is pointing down?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
have your exit starategy in plan before you enter - and then when hit - exit ..
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Always know where you will get out of a trade before putting on a trade. WhatI mean by "know where to get out" Is a calculated risk that wont affect you psychologically if you do take a loss. From a technical point of view, I would've shorted SLM @ R16.00
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Sanlam was still within its range but at the lower end.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
It looks a bit risky shorting a share when it is at its lower end of its range.
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
Rule 1: Preserve capital. Rule 2: if the market goes against you, Rule 1 applies. Get the hell out of your losing position ASAP.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
It does'nt matter what appears to look risky... What is actually RISKY is not knowing where your Risk IS.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Remember that the share can always break downwards out of its historical range. It might be better to wait for the share to turn and start moving in your favour before entering your position. If you are trying to trade a range, consider putting a stop-loss just below the bottom of the range.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I set the trade yesterday and then popped out to get my daily ration of one Russian vienna sausage and then the price fell to below 1590. I was keeping an on the price and adjusting my price accordingly but was out for about 18 minutes.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Why only one vienna?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Not very healthy, soaked in over used oil and I'm not sure what's in it.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ture. You don't want to end up like Chartist's dog.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Chartists dog has it good. At least its getting fibre.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So you would have made a fat profit had you not taken 18 minutes to get the vienna. In addition to causing you great loss, you know that the vienna is damaging your health. You have clearly overcome the most difficult first stage of dealing with your problem; that of denial. The next step towards your rehabilitation is to visualise yourself free of your vienna addiction. Can you see it?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Duh?!? I don't get it. Maybe I should cancel pending trades whenever I need the bathroom.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, let me be more straight-forward. You should trade in such a way that it doesn't matter if you take an 18-minute break from staring at the numbers. A multiday trade should not depend on minute-by-minute information.
0 Kudos