Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SOCIAL STATUS

Rams
Super Contributor
Which determines your social status, Education or Wealth.Can an uneducated person be wealthy and can a wealthy person be uneducated?
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
MarkD
Contributor
why have you asked the same question twice? Of course an uneducated person can be wealthy. There are plenty of examples of people who started out with a less-than-stellar education - Felix Dennis, Alan Sugar, Jacob Zuma even. They probably all have certain traits that got them to where they are, mixed with a bit of luck and being in the right place at the right time. For the rest of us that may lack whatever these traits are, and who are not so lucky, education is there to bolster our chances. But there are plenty of educated people who are not rich (some teachers for example). And the end of the day, it all comes down to you and how you live your life. Your social standing depends on the social circles in which you move. Not certain what sort of social standing or social circles Lolly Jackson moved in, for example. He was probably pretty happy with where he was though.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
dont forget a certain Mr ulias alema
0 Kudos
Not applicable
education is higher/better than wealth. you need wealth to invest/buy education.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
what has this sort of question got to do with this forum? ( btw : "amor ergo sum")
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
It has something to do with SIM - but I can't figure it out as yet, NOT that it has been keeping me busy
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You mean Julie-ass
0 Kudos
Erkon
New Contributor
Unfortunately I think the real answer is wealth. The purpose of education is to help one generate monetary wealth, if it doesn't do this then it's practically of NO use. Education is one of the means and financial wealth is the end.
0 Kudos
Erkon
New Contributor
But this is definately not a discussion about shares.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
....Connections,Connections.That is how we do it.Which means,Money. Money + Who U know = Welcome to 'The Club'.Now just do as we do.###Yeah... I laugh at the silly theories they once taught me at Business School.That's why I'm self-employed( and grateful for it).Never met a man I could seriously call>> 'Boss'.And I don't kiss Butt well,either.Definitely not corporate material.(since 1995,in fact.)BEST DECISION I EVER MADE,COMMERCIALLY.Not wealthy,but perfectly content.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Virilius, not wealthy but educated? So whats your social status or what do people perceive.Peoples perception, does it really matter? We are all educated(I hope at least on this forum), but not wealthy, so thats why we are trading right? Are we not happy with the social status our education has given us? Nothing to do with SIM, CHATTY,should have been General Market....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wealth can buy you an education but can an education buy you wealth? Statistic: graduate school leavers will earn roughly 66% more than an uneducated early school leaver. A tertiary educated will earn roughly 120% more than a graduate matriculant. A further degreed person with a second or third masters etc degree will earn roughly 250% more but a person that educates themselves about money and money being the starting point of wealth (money does not equal wealth) will earn about 900% more than all of the above. You have to forget everything you know about money and wealth if you think you know anything at all. If you want I can point you in a direction (not a cheap one but way cheaper than a Harvard degree) to start your path to understanding what its all about.

Simple question to see if you qualify. You have a bat and a ball. Together they cost R1-10.The bat costs R1 more than the ball. What does the bat cost?

Answer that correctly and you could be a graduate for the path....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
VI, I hear you on the Boss train...could not really get to grips working for another so am in the same boat as you, a few years the junior but still paddling the pond.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lets wait and see what others have to say....
0 Kudos
Erkon
New Contributor
R1.05, unless you want some strange philosophical answer :)
0 Kudos
Tandaai
New Contributor
R1.00, and that would make the ball R0.10
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
R1.05 vat inclusive :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rams: Knowledge is Power.I found that the corporate world ( Fin Services) just 'play the game'.You know, the Quarterlies, and the PR show.So I learnt a lot about PR and Sales. Not much about markets.To be a Pro Trader takes a long time.A dangerous profession.And anyone who's done this successfully for 10 yrs, has Elite Status.Otherwise, if you're looking for normal Status.Just sell your Soul and Play the Game.It'll work.Remembering of course, its all just an illusion that lasts for a while.###So pack away for that Rainy day...it always comes.As we Play and Play.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looks like we have a few graduates on the path already ;-)
0 Kudos