Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SOL - classic and hidden divergence on MACD histogram

Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip. We're out at 235. Nice little run from 245. Notice that the trading band is getting narrower and narrower?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
IS that tightening band on a pair of shorts with a widening bottom pattern, you speak of.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
All the champagne and Aero experiments are leading to a tightening band and widening bottom. But it's critical research, AND someone's gotta do it.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
As I sit with jeans button loose I know the experiments you talk of, nice trading.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
nope.. I trade on end of day data. so this spike is 'noise' for me until the close.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
tango, a Q. You tarde on EOD data - how do manage a stop? Wait for a close breach and exit the next day? Or pre-empt intra-day if it's hit or looks like it'll be breached at close.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
in this case I was being a bit facetious... I'm still long on SOL - bought the underlying on the last dip to hang with the idea of hanging onto them. So for me the up and down is not a big deal. I try not to exit on intra-day breach, and try to exit after 4pm. In the case where my stop is breached intraday, but the close looks to be above my stop (for long trades) I would stay in but exit on the following morning if it continued to go against me. If my stop is breached intraday and the close is still beyond my stop I would exit before market close. If there is a big move past my stop intraday on solid volume I'll bail immediately. But thankfully that hasn't happened yet.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
pre-empt is the short answer. But it's been a mistake in the past...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, pre-empt not always gteat. But if geared not pre-empting can hurt even more.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Are we heading for an immortal quote here like:- "For my system money-making trades are really profitable - and the converse is also true"?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Have the same issue here - problem with eod stop is that by the time the chickens come out, price coulda moved waay into the red- bad with ssf's. So now entry is based on eod, but I push the trigger intraday if; a)stop's breached on high volumes and b) profit's worth protecting. This way even if I'm wrong I can take the money an make it to the bottle store on time to spend it.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have been giving thought to is this. I think one has to always stray on the side of caution. What Dave at Market web is working on for me( and others who use his system is a box that alows you to input intraday data as if it were closing data so you can see the effects an intraday price point will have on the Indicators. if anything like this is currently available please let me know.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
charts on this site update intra day with a 15 minute delay. market master also has intraday downloads.

stop loss always tricky. SAW has been looking at a delta type answer, in that would give the percentage odds of a close above below the stop level. still not perfect but it we could bring in bid/offer volumes, depth etc. But at the end of the day I suspect we're trying to perfect something that is not a perfect science, some times we get it spot on, other times not and that's just tarding?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I've been looking at trying to relate the lows to one another when long (and the highs when short). Still don't have something that is working like I want it to. It also means that on a day like today, if short, one would have to wait for a higher-high, which is almost 3% above the previous close. Any gearing of 5x or more will hurt.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
do a search on "safestop"... Elder has created a system that looks back at recent history to determine volatility. You can then place your stop at 2x average vol, or 3x etc. The idea is that you are only knocked out of a trade when a short-term trend changes or something dramatic happens, but you are safe from noise.
0 Kudos