Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SOL

SJ
Contributor
Thinking of going long... who thinks the same?
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
kwagga
Super Contributor
Buy, but know and be prepared for a volatile short term ride.
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
R355 my bid is in and waiting.............
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The price may be at a dip and very likely to go further down...but I just cant understand why everyone is so keen on buying this share (other than its a dip)

So ask I ask the question...why do you guys think this share will go up in the next 3 years? Why wont it stay sideways?
Just because is a share seems low why does that imply it will go up?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2015/01/06/investors-freak-as-saudi-inaction-could-sin...

Investors Freak As Saudi Inaction Could Sink Oil To $20 A Barrel. Time To Buy?
OPEC is not going to come to the rescue. It is up to American producers to cut oil supplies.

If the media all agree then I guess it must be right...
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Massive extra supply on Oil right now. You might wanna wait and see. If the Rand strengthens Sasol will get smashed to pieces.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Remember, I been waiting for 320. More seriously, I thought the bottom was just shove 400.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
I would not bet on the American producers to cut oil supplies. Survival of the fittest this time in my opinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Another moneyweb article:
http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-safm-market-update/more-stock-picks-for-2015-viv-govender--senior...
VIV GOVENDER: Yeah, my pick would probably be Sasol. I do think that you might possibly see a lower price than right now. If one goes back to basically 2008 when we had the crash

Last night the Bruce Whitfield show:
"on The Money Show on Radio 702 last night with an oil expert who suggested that the bottom is now very close for the collapsing oil price, if we are not at the bottom already"

Forbes magazine:
Time to buy Oil?

Amazing really, guess everyone has figured out the markets, whenever theres consensus by everyone in the media it must be right!

Personally I still believe the analysis that suggests Oil at $40 a barrel (due to the close correlation to the Natural gas)...but thats just me standing alone on the 1 side of the room.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The truth is no one knows exactly, so buy what you see, not what you anticipate.
0 Kudos
SJ
Contributor
I agree... BUT!! I would love to anticipate some profit.
0 Kudos
SJ
Contributor
IMO Eskom will be hitting us with more blackouts starting next Monday, and who knows how they will handle the upcoming winter?? SA market will be downgraded and say goodbye to the ZAR. Oil who knows $40 maybe $60 by year end more likely. I sound like a doomsayer but reality is reality, SA cannot grow properly without power.
0 Kudos
indium
Contributor
Extract from Financials - We estimate that a 10c change in the annual average rand/US dollar exchange rate and a $1 change in the crude oil price will affect our profit from global operations by approximately R860 million and R750 million, respectively. Average Brent Price for FY14 was $109.40 Operating profit for FY14 was R41.7bn Assuming Reduction in Brent Oil to $50 average price for FY15 = R44.55bn reduction in Profit Ouch
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Ah,sol,where's the bottom?
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Only time will tell but could this be something to ponder over? : In Dec. 2013 Royal Dutch Shell , EuropeÂ’s biggest oil company, halted plans to build a gas-to-liquids plant in Louisiana USA, citing the potential cost and uncertainty about future crude and natural gas prices. Sasol is still going ahead and approved construction of an $8.1 billion plant in Louisiana U.S. that will convert natural gas into plastics and other products in the chemical industryÂ’s largest bet on shale gas. Is this a matter of "be brave when others are cautious?"
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
I Suspect the Arabs will cut production soon. Why work twice as hard for the same monies. Doesn't make sense. There is obviously a war on for the biggest piece of the Pie. Everyone will soon come to their senses.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the reason it makes sense is when you realize by not cutting production they are eliminating most of their competition...same way as what SAA did to 1time. Even though they take a knock they will get more market share in the long run....unethical but thats how business works it seems.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I wonder if little scl will make a run when the oil price turns?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, and I think Saudi Arabia is the one country that can pump oil out of the ground for the cheapest per bbl. I am not sure about the actual values, but I think this is the case (could be wrong).
0 Kudos