Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SSF

leminus2
Regular Contributor
CAn anybody tell me how to go short on an SSF. ie put in a sell instead of a buy?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
EkisDoep
Frequent Contributor
Assuming you have an SSF account - go into the "trade" screen and just click on sell and enter the quantity and the price and the time you want you offer to be valid.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
I do have an SSF account, but if i go and trade I only have an option to buy the SSF and not to sell it.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
Seems to be ân isolated case for the massmart SSF. Thanx though
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
MTX can not be sold short!
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Do you really want to go against the major trend, rather wait for pullback and go long. Analyst your risk and reward carefully
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
if you do not know how to short - dont enter the derivitives game. go for a few courses- else you going to pay lots in school fees
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Going short is selling derivatives you DO NOT own. i.e. you are holding minus (-). As Kurt would say do it. Trade the price. Sell at what you perceive to be the highest point of the day. Every stock has its intraday high and low. Some stocks DO NOT have the option to go short especially if your broker decided they are high risk.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
I have had massmart in my watchlist for about 2 year already and it rose pretty much pretty fast, so a pullback would be expected. And if it would have had a shorting option on the SSF I would have made some money, I have paid enough school fees. Believe me. Me dumb idiot started of trading with futures and I have had enough margin calls. However lately i think it has been going better..... :-)
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
you have to put 10000 contracts to go short! no no just kidding!
0 Kudos