Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SandP 500 ???

Not applicable
hi, what is the relation between the s&p 500 and our stock market??/
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
contary to what people will say .. not a heck of a lot ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i simply thought i heard at a seminar that our index generally follows the s&p500. that idea and with the s&p closing higher last night. was a validation to my long bet on the alsi yesterday @29654, guess i was wrong with that idea.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
We track the S&P in the same way you tried to: if we think it's going to go up, we go up. It's hard to find a correlation using end-of-day info for both because we end at different times, so unless someone shows you minute-to-minute back-tests they're not giving you the full picture.

But watch the Wall Street Daily:
http://www.igindex.co.uk/

And check it against our ALSI on Easy Trader. Most days, you'll see us track it within minutes if not seconds, *even when the US markets are asleep* because it's the closest thing we have to knowing where they'll go when they open. We usually differ if there's a strong-enough non-US driver, but in the absence of locally related news, we're pretty darned correlated. And watch what happens when the US opens. They jump up, we'll very often follow. If we were down, we'll move higher even if we don't go positive.

Either we're getting the inside news at the same time as them, or we're following or anticipating them. Result is the same. Yes, there will be exceptions, but personally I don't like trading unless I can see what the overseas reactions are.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
there is some correlation.....not sure its enough to be helpfull......I would trade the alsi and forget the rest....your system needs to work regardless
0 Kudos