Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SandP500 death cross

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Support on the TOPI/ALSI has been holding. Wonder for how long?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
alsi needs to open trade and close above 23500 (thursday's high)at the minimum
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Are we seeing a death cross on the ALSI now?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So this leads to an interesting question - can a bearish TA signal actually 'cause' prices to drop? If there are sufficient TA's out there, then I would say that the principles of cause and effect could possibly apply, but I somehow doubt that there are sufficient TA's out htere.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya you most likley right .. but equally a lot of traders will only trade short now .. also when below 200 day MA .. so to a degree maybe ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So then this leads to another hypothetical question - if the bulk of the trading population decides to go short now, I don't see how that scenario will 'cause' a market to drop. If everybody decides to short, then maybe there are no buyers and prices drop - but in theory there are also no real sellers either - since a distinction has to be made between a short seller (who is looking for the highest possible price to enter a position) vs a stock seller (who is looking for the highest possible price to exit a position). The latter will be far more inclined to take any price - thereby letting the bears win, while the former will only enter if his price is reached.
0 Kudos