Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sappi - new broom

DST
Super Contributor
This (eternal optimists') company has finally appointed a new MD - a guy from Imperial. He starts on 1 July, so an early job will be to publish on the quarter to June. Any bets he starts off by trying to "lower the base against which he will be judged" by reporting a dreadful recent past. If so, how will the price respond?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
The question is also with Mondi arriving next Monday how many people will switch out of dying sap and into much better mnd ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dyin? Geez dude, it's made up nearly 140 percent since its low in April 2005 an its still steadily on upwards. This year it's only made 15 percent, but that takes into account a severe 26 percent pullback from Jan to March - not unexpected. Thing is, Sappi is a world player in fine coated papers; its main problem has been below inflation increases in its main market, the US, but seems to be overcoming this with cost management and lately, convincing customers that they are gonna have to pay more.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
World player.

Wow.

What is going to transform them into a world player which does well for shareholders? Has the ROE era ended (return on ego)? Why?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
gravy, sure but my memory of sap is one excuse after another. economic booms should seriously benefit paper/packaging conmpanies - sap has pretty much missed out this bull
0 Kudos
Not applicable
True, true, but I figger the point is that the share, like the company, did so badly for so long, that even a slight improvement in margins has significantly benefitted the share price - so providing capital growth. Think of it as a kinda GFI with trees.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
What kind of trees, Gspot, bugweed? You are in my first pair of brackets above, and you may be right ... ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
..green is the new gold, dude, the new gold..
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Well it could be, Gspot, but then wouldn't you far rather be in Mondi? Or will your Anglo hive-off give you enough/too many?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mondi grows trees whereas Sappi buys trees an turns em into paper. So two different industries, really. I reckon it's possible to hold both inna portfolio.
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
Will be nice to choose between Sappi, Mond and Nampak in this small sector. With renewable raw materials it will fly.
0 Kudos