Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sasol BEE deal

Samir
Super Contributor
So is nobody going to comment on it? Have read enough of what the journalists had to propogate. How about some views from the fellow men and women down here in the real world. For those that have been following it, can anybody tell me why would anybody pay cash for the investment if Sasol is willing to fund your investment? i.e Why spend R366 on 1 share (using your own money) when you can spend R366 on 10 shares with funding for the balance being received from Sasol?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
People that have money to buy shares do not need empowerment,they are already in a position to invest,ie the ones that benefit are the ones that dont need it.The rich get richer and the poor poorer.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
To be honest as a lilly white I have not given it much attention.. I will now go take a look.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Samir, coz Sasol won't fund my purchase of SOL, so I pay full price or buy something else.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Anybody got the link. My previously disadvataged friends who went to Bishops would like some details.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you're black or a Sasol employee or service provider it may be an opportunity to use some "free leverage". I'd like to see the details and fine print though. I don't think that the poor part of the population will be gaining much from this plan... OMO
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it isn't aimed at poor people, rather SOL staff, and if it goes well (and it may not, depends on share price) there is a min of about R350k each.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
See why cant they just say this is open to all individuals who pay less than the maximum tax bracket or somthing and no companies and only to SA residents who live in SA. all of these things make you currently disadvantaged, then put a maximum number of shares per individual that way you will have more middle class participants which is what the country needs a strong middle class. Only my humble, envious oppinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Where can i read the details of this transaction. Leverage? So free shares.... This has been the most confusing trasaction of all, every paper writes their own version of the story.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
There are lots of different explanaitons amongst all the papers. Is it really an element of free leverage? Or do you pay back the funded balance at the end of 10 years? Has anyone done TA on SOL> If the TA says that there is a chance that SOL can drop below the R366 level in the next 2 months, then the BEE deal is not worth it? Am I right?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If there is that much leverage, 250 shares for R9150 that you do not have to pay back until you sell than it's worth the deal. Don't you think?
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Drigo, I think if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. I think the NEF will be handling the public application, so I'm sure they will explain in detail the pros and cons as well as this leverage story.
0 Kudos