Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sasol and Gold

kwagga
Super Contributor
So since this little sucker rally has run it's course the last week or three, the only thing that's starting to appear on my radar is Gold and Sasol.omo
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Galuc
Super Contributor
Why gold? Rand is strong and gold price hasn't gone anywhere in ages.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Hey exactly - Rand is up for a klap to the downside and gold has consolidated for the next up leg.
0 Kudos
jannie2
Contributor
I have been sitting long on Sasols for a while- what does the radar say ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
It says Dividend Yield - 4.35%, Earnings Yield - 16.68% and PE - 5.99. This share has gone nowhere in 7 months. Poor expected earnings results are discounted into the price and it's not likely to drop much further. The risk to the downside is much lower than the upside potential. I'd stay long on this one at current prices. omo
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
only way oil is moving is if the global recession is over .. an why is the rand going to get klapped ?? everybody says that, and they've been wrong for o about 8 years ??
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
A short term klap Simon closer to R8,50 levels.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
...and if I recall oil has moved from $38 to $68 and the recession is definitely not over.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Agree sasol very attractive at these level could definately see the rand weaken in the near term which is favourable for this share. I say 260 would be an excellent entry...just my opinion
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Simon is right. Oil is going nowhere. Average 50US/BBL
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
JOHANNESBURG, July 29 (Reuters) - Despite higher gold output and a stronger price for the metal, Africa's top three gold producers are expected to see a big drop in earnings and cash flow for their quarters to June, because of the stronger rand.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
There was a report this morning that the oil reserves grew by something like 6million barrels the last onth from an expected decline of 1 million barrels. That does not bode well fo the oil price. Sasol should however do good over the longer term.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shell reports a massive profit drop..I wouldnt be touching oil shares in the short term,the only reason one would buy oil shares is to stack up for the long term portfolio
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Well Kwagga the great Dr Roffey agrees with you ....mmmmm?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Gold coming close to buying season August, September, and for the long haul Sasol won't let you down either. Sasol and Gold shares have been hammered in the last few months, and could offer value - Gold over the short term and Sasol long term. I'm not saying buy today, but only with the recent rally in shares, some shares offer more value than others right now. This is just my opinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Agree with you kwagga.SOL around the mid 200's offers a whole lot of value.Especially if you an investor..It is however not such a good share for traders,since has been stuck in a 260-320 trading range for the last 7/8 months..But yes the downside is very minimal and the upside well look at that 52week highs;)
0 Kudos
dilligaff
Super Contributor
So if you know that a share is range-bound, what trading opportunities does it provide?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Low risk entry point
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Buy Sasol as close to 260 as possible......nice support, low risk, close stop.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Agree totally Ninja!
0 Kudos