Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sasol and oil price: what is their correlation coefficient?

Not applicable
Futhermore, anyone know of a website that provides correlation values for various commodities and shares? In the absence of that, where I can access backdata for shares and commodities in a user-friendly, non-costly manner in order to do my own correlation calculations?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
CrownA
Super Contributor
You go the petrol station and ask for R100 petrol. If you see less on your petrol gauge than the last time, you buy Sasol, if more petrol, sell Sasol. Easy man.QED.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There's a book called Profile's Stock Exchange handbook available at most bookstores. It comes out quarterly,and there you will be able to find Beta's and Standard Deviations. If you have access to I-net (I do at varsity) you can get all the daily information there and run your own regressions and get correlations. This includes macroeconomic data such as oil price. I know SFM has the closing prices for SOL (not sure about oil) that you can download into your stats program. This stuff is sorta for portfolio managers though, why you interested?
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Use Google. I typed brent oil price history and the first hit contained a page with a spread sheet containing the history of oil. Sasol you can get from this site. You probably need to get the history for the ZAR/US$ as well. Then do your own calculation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I remember when I last did a regression analysis of Sol. The relation between oil in US$/R and SOL is def positive but the R2 is pathetic. Hardly any of the movement in Sol is explained by move in oil. (this includes removing seasonality and trying to fix for non-stationarity). Been trying to come up with a decent model for it but haven;t found too much yet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mer, how long ago did you do your analysis?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
About 2 motnhs ago. It is not that i don't think oil/SOL is correlated or explainatory it is that I doubt they are linearly corr. Also I think that SOL has a "tech" factor in its pricing which doesn't mimic typical oil plays. I also have a feeling that oil prices are a catalyst for SOL moves. i.e. a small pull back in oil is the catalyst for a large pull back in sol regradless of oil movements after that (Short term) and vice versa
0 Kudos