Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sasol

riverside
Occasional Contributor
With the current weakness that is expected re the world crude prices - what are the views on this counter? I am thinking of acquiring some put warrants
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
I have an urge to buy Sasol, which means that it's going to tank soon :) -- but probably only when I buy. If this shares ever retraces back to the R250 levels, I'm buying! I don't have the balls to buy a PUT warrant on this one, but I do think that it may actually pay off.. IMHO
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
OMO... if its expected its already priced in
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
who is OMO.......?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
A washing powder
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OMO is a distant relative of Super Blue Surf!
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Just remember that Sasol is hedged against low oil prices.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
30% hedged at $90
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What about exchange rate? It's back over 10 now. That should also be a supporting factor?
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
hahaha wow that jus helped ma mood a bit
0 Kudos
riverside
Occasional Contributor
I am pretty new at the investing game and welcome some further thoughts.But everything I have read says that oil will fall to about $35 in the first qtr. See Bloombergs website and Goldman Sachs report dated 9 Jan. Surely even with hedging Sasol will come under pressure.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
SPB, till when is that hedge of sasol in place? I'm thinking that it must be nearing its end as it is not indefinite?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not sure when the hedge ends, they renew it every year at the new levels, seem to think it was put in place in Q3 of 08, so still got time to run.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you would think that would be how it works but alas there are so many factors... OPEC aint happy selling the oil at $35 a barrell so they can just keep cutting supply to boost the price. If things continue to escalate in the mid east oil could soar. A few major hurricanes in Texas complements of global warming and oil will spike. Less new fuel efficient cars being sold means more old gas guzzlers on the road for longer (hehe just came up with that one:)
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Hey Thundercat, looks like nobody answered your question, so OMO means "Only My Opinion" and IMHO means In My Honest Opinion etc etc. It is actually all irrelevant to use any of these, cos Standard Bank makes it quite clear in their terms and conditions that all the opinions here are just that and aren't the view of the bank etc etc (in other words, nobody must base any decisions on what they read on the site) But despite that I (and I'm sure many others) still have a great amount of respect for the opinions and views of some of the forumites.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
The so-called economists/forecasters on oil and other commodities are either utterly stupid or utterly confused! One day they claim the signs indicate an increase over the next few days/weeks and just a day or two later they have to make a 180degree u-turn. For the time being it seems to me like down on oil, gold and plats is a greater possibility than up??? Don't have the guts to short them though (especially SOL).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
IMHO=In my Humble Opinion IMIO=In my Idiotic Opinion :-)
0 Kudos