Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Saving for house

Frequent Contributor
Hi Im saving up R15 000 a month for a house deposit, my timeline is 2 years Should i put the money in savings account or buy shares with it and heck over 2 years how much i have? If shares, which shares do i buy? Regards
0 Kudos
51 REPLIES 51
Valued Contributor
if you need the money in less than 3 years, put it in a bank ..
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
why not buy the pref shares? they return 8% and some of them are very liquid
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Anyone in particular?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Because: If yields ride - your prefs will go down and your capital will take a smack. If you know you will need the money in 3 years - you pretty muc have to just keep it in cash. (The next question is {drumroll} why are you buying (not "investing in") a house at all.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
1st house purchase for myself :-)
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Buying a house is a Good investment! Regardless of some comments here...
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Buying a house is a Good investment! Regardless of some comments here...
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
How do you reconcile your conspiracy theroy rhetoric with your ringing endorsement for buying a house as an "investment?"
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Never listen to people who give unreserved investment advice as in "X is a great invesmtent! (FULLSTOP)"
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
@THRESHOLD, why not buy a house for myself?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Well I have bought few more houses than you can count on yours fingers. So I'm talking for myself... its a good investment.
0 Kudos
Som2
Contributor
DEP > Why is it a good investment (to buy a house), in your opinion? THRESHOLD > Why do you think it is not?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
(Not to get into a whole discussion of property v shares) but in my experience buying the house you will live in is (generally) a great investment, any other residential property purchases (buy-to-let) hasnt been worth it - at all. Commercial property has been phenomenal though - (GrowthPoint, Resilient, etc)

Obviously these are also just general statements and you can still make a good profit from a buy-to-let...I just havent seen it yet :)
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
It is generally a good idea to invest in a house to live in, i assume. This is not to rent out.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Out of 16 houses I have bought since 1996 - all of them have beaten inflation except one.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I never actually said it is not. I just reserved my opinion. I have opined at length on this forum in the past. Property had its day. By way of disclosure, I still have fairly extensive property holdings; but all in elite or nodal areas. In general, though, I think it is a very poor "investment." I'll wait for the "pro" camp to deliver its reasoning before I offer the "cons."
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Out of 16 houses I have bought since 1996 - all of them have beaten inflation except one. Commercial and residential property has be good to me since 1996 - its pay the bills - PERIOD!
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
... Nomad1, have said the above. Find out for yourself what is the 3 most important aspects of property! Then you are on your way...
0 Kudos