Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Selecting Stocks

Not applicable
Hi, I have been interested for a long time in trading shares, and done a fair share of short term trading based almost entirely on charts. I would like to change my strategy to buy more shares based on value, strong earnings or even dividend earning shares with potential for growth as well. Could any1 who does have some sort of method for selecting shares based on fundamentals share with me what they look for. Standard Bank has a share filter, what would be good things to filter for, p/e obviously helps, but is not enough to make a share selection.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
Long term - I use technical analysis - I stopped worrying about fundamentals ages ago. I buy extreme price, or extreme momentum. But I do have some exit strategies. High PE companies or high debt companies - I don't buy close to earnings announcements - and I exit my position if I don't have at least 10% gain 2 months prior to an announcement. I stay away from any company that is not making a profit - period! (and they need to be making better returns than last year, otherwise I exit my position)
0 Kudos
Dr_Phopho
Contributor
What value do you consider a Hgh PE?
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
Hi Rams, what is extreme momentum? Thanks
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I don't know, that was skaap...never heard momentum being described as extreme though
0 Kudos