Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sell in May and go away

stores
Super Contributor
Thanks.... Simon Brown for teaching me that this is absolute hog wash...Only one day left in May...Maybe market will go down tomorrow and in June..Who knows?... Nobody.
0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
Rams
Super Contributor
Historically July is the worse month
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
...and now junk status is looming. Never the same over years, with '2016 worst outlook of all, even looking back at Sharpeville and so on.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
...and now junk status is looming. Never the same over years, with '2016 worst outlook of all, even looking back at Sharpeville and so on.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so we need a rhyme for July ??
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Sung to the teddybear's picnic.

If you rely
on a big July
you're dooming your cash to die.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My opinion, is that there is no downgrade happening this week. Rand hedge stock are going to get super destroyed.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Dollar is going to be weak, as Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are not ideal candidates for strong leadership. At least Hillary has got Bill Clinton to steer her in the right direction. Donald "Motor Mouth" Trump is not good for the USA.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Zuma will be strategically removed from office after the impact of the local govt election, that could buy us some more time for Dec rating decision.
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
What are stocks that would offset any ZAR depreciation?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Any stocks that earns the majority of their revenue in Dollars and the JSE is not their primary listing.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
Of course that makes sense, but what are those stocks? Off the top of my head I can think of ANB and I guess SOL?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
all the doom and gloom out there - eish. Do we really think local shenanigans plays any real part in the global order of things? We are an emerging market - bundled into all the other emerging markets out there. Our currency is an emerging market currency, subject to the same forces as all other emerging market currencies. Now you have global ETF's - moving more money than a country like SA can ever dream of, on a daily basis - allocating weightings to various index tracking funds, or to some broker that can build an index tracking portfolio. Do you honestly think that the man or woman pushing the allocation button on iShares emerging market or world market ETF's gives a dead owl's hoot about Jacob Zuma and his thieving policies? We are all just little little Nemo's in a big infested shark tank. Ride the waves boys and girls, and stop worrying about things you can't control anyways.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Eurostar
Contributor
+1 Skaaptjop! We tiny in the grand scheme of things :)
0 Kudos
wetta
Contributor
On the short term; the graph of SAB is almost a blue print to that of ZAR USD.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Your money you want to multiply It's greed that make you reach for the sky they say "sell in May" And then go away Wrong..this time the month is July
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
And still - each's little bit contribute to the end result. What is the saying?: (sometimes) the end result is larger than the sum of each little contribution. Example: small buggerup + small buggerup = large buggerup.
0 Kudos