Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sell in May

Plonky
Super Contributor
Anybody believe in the saying " sell in May and go away" ???. In the past May has not been a great month for the markets.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Is the opposite true if you're in a bear market?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes and yes!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i might add,as John pointed out,may is usually fine,but june the markets almost always head south...i'm definite going, in the latter part of the month to buy TOP puts,just as insurance.... as the event usually happens very quickly and there is usually no time to scramble!
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
for every buyer there is a seller, it just depends on which side you are on.
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
If i remember correctly last year that would have been excellent advice.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
If I may ask. What or where is the logic in " sell in May and go away"?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Louis, old chap, I know you like to probe the stability of everyone's thinking, but what would you rather recommend?

Buy in April and hope for a thrill?

Sell in June and shoot for the moon?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i once heard that it originated in America,something to do with their summer time holidays,less traders about.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Hi DST. I would recommend that it's all a load of twaddle. There's as much logic in " Buy in May and go away" as there is in " bet on red because black has come up the last 20 times in a row".
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Agreed. Normal market patterns (even if they exist, which they only might because others believe it too) can't possibly be relevant in the turmoil we're surrounded by. I loved reading some writer at the end of October spouting that "traditionally, November is much better than October" and then the market freaked out again.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
of course as the market is so low already it might not be so a severe downturn this year,how ever i have a graph drawn up by none other Martin Spring showing the effect of certain months on share trading....how ever this is already ten years old,so patters might have altered in the mean time....Simon also believes its twaddle and said so in about May last year.there after the market took a terrible knock in June,which some now put down to coincedence!
0 Kudos