Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sell on drop buy on rise

Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
Please educate me, In a rising market I know I can put a stoploss on a trade and sell it the moment, say it drops 1%. Can I do opposite, i.e in a falling market put a 'gogain' to buy a share the moment it gains say 1%?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure just place a buy order 1% below
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
placing stops for longs and shorts follows same procedure, in the long your stop sells you out and the stop on short buys you out...problem with shorts is that not many CFD shorts, so need to buy futures and cant place automatic stop losses on single stock futures for longs or shorts
0 Kudos
Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks guys but we might be talking at cross purposes. I think the share is already showing value but don't want to buy now as its falling. I can't predict the bottom but I could risk that a 1% recovery will be an indicator of the bottom being reached. Then I want my buy order to trigger at whatever price it is. Of course I could watch the share all day but don't have that time. I know this might not seem a great way to trade but I'm already happy with the value and this may save me a few cents. It works nicely when selling. Offering to buy at 1% below it could go further then I've overpaid, or not go down 1% and then I don't buy at all. I only trade shares simply so don't quite understand you RAMS.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
If I understand correctly, what I suggest you do is, in the morning, set a price alert 1% above the previous day close. If it triggers, go in and activate your buy order. If it does not trigger, adjust the trigger accordingly after the close and wait for your SMS alert the next day. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
You understood me right Wino. Thanks. Seems I cannot leave it alone to monitor itself but would have to return each day.
0 Kudos