Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sell short of stocks

Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
How do I go about if I want to sell a stock short.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
its impossible because we are in bull market...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thats seriously what I think we should tell anyone starting out...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nice one chartist
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Research warrants, waves, pygmies and SSF. Tell me which is the odd one out, then we'll talk.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I say it SSF, no vowels.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
SSF all in caps.
stock standard shorts? short with socks? short stock long stock beef stock.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Jemaiks : Welcome to the MoshPit ;your Rhino-Skin Trader Jacket will be a necessity,here at the Bucket-Shop,(heh), where 0.001% of SFM clients meet.Quite the feisty bunch, as you will note.##..Answer to your Question:SSF is what you are looking for.Just click the Sharecode, and you will see the Page you need to Click ! on next.Best of.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Jemaiks, chartists advice is correct. That aside you can't directly short a stock - you'll have to use a derivative product such as SSF or warrant.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey Chartist You think your warning would have worked on Zarpie. 2 years ago. I know mine did not this morning.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Wait till Mrs Z comes back from the UK and see what happened to her precious Pounds...oh boy....the word imbecile will sound like a compliment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Only do this if you are an experienced trader. You can buy warrants to help you do this. First learn everything at the education link on the left and attend the warrants courses that SFM do. I tried warrants for a while, but found that I looked at them 10 times a day and didn't get any work done. I found that if I didn't try to trade, I made more money in my normal job. BTW, it is still possible to make a 20%+ return on the stock market. An easy way is to buy the top 40. A way to hedge is to put 20% into the Gold ETF or physical gold. Good luck. Over the long term, it has been proven that the quickest and safest way to make money is to have 20% of your portfolio in Gold and Gold shares. Also commodities, eg BIL which by itself is like buying a commodities index. Note that you can be completely wiped out with warrants; ie lose 100% of your investment; plus even if you make money you can lose your investment quickly, eg because of "decay". Remember to set stop losses (20 to 30% trailing) - and don't worry when you lose money - especially initially - decide how much your fund is and stick to it - don't get into gambling (some people think the stock market IS gambling - for myself I treat everything on the stock market as a gamble - ie at any time I am prepared to lose 100% of my stock market investment - I'd rather not, but you never know). If you could short the companies yourself, you could lose much more than 100% of your investment! This is probably why it is not done in RSA. Also if you do this, open a second Standard Bank SFM account which you can use for trading whilst keeping your investment account free of tax.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos