Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sellers remorse?

Not applicable
I know it's a usual thing but how often do you guys feel that you've sold too early?? I know it's only greed but I guess the market is fuelled by greed and fear! Happens to me plenty... knowing I could've sold at a higher price!
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Ega
Super Contributor
I allways console myself by the thought that I am leaving a bit for the next guy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Happens to me almost everytime, but after that I think that hey, its money mdae and in the bank
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
If I made money and followed my system, then I tell myself that it was the correct thing to do. There is a reason why the system tells me to sell.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You should be asking some of the famous shorts around here ....they are always selling to early except the dont have any profits to show for it. To answer your question...everyone experiences this...there is always some pain asociated with having less than you know you could have. Acknowledge this and try and minimise it - you are human and you will never be able to avoid it. Thats why its important to focus on the positive i.e. the profit and the fact that you went long in the first place..the fact that you had a system which got you into the trade in the first place and which will enable you to continue to make profits in a sustainable way for the rest of your life. Remember anyone can put on a winning trade - any idiot with a trading platform ...he/she may even be able to put on a few (as our darts portfolio showed) but doing this consistently is not possible for the idiot because idiots are idiots because they think to trade you need to be clever ...they dont have the humility and insight to realise that all it actually takes is discipline.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks guys. Great answer Chartist - appreciate it!
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Yes, I agree, I used to trade more with gut and greed, but now I have a very disciplined approach and I find I'm making more money. I decide when I buy at what level I want to sell and stick to it rigidly. Occasionally I will sell off bundles at staggered intervals as the share climbs, but most of the time I decide on a selling price and place the shares on offer till they sell. Yes, in a rising market you may not make as much as the guy who buys them after you, or holds them longer, but at least you are out and have banked your profit. The old expression "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" applies to share trading too.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Or at least if the bird is in the hand dont leave till you have been in the bush!
0 Kudos
Spike
Contributor
So your gain has become a profit; you're in cash, and there's always summat else to buy. Not a consolation but a method.
0 Kudos
CAB
Contributor
Sell half at your target and the balance on a tight stop loss of the prior day's low. In this bull I have managed to ride out some very nice second half trades before getting stopped out. eg: My second half on my Merafe trade made about 3 times more than when I sold my first half at my target. Nice when it happens!!
0 Kudos