Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sep Alsi Futures

maverick7
Occasional Contributor
just a thought, wouldnt the reverse be true, the buyers are buying into market strenght. I understand the fundamentals, but i'm still trying to learn technicals....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Welcome Maverick7, perhaps Rams will give us a quick refresher course on RISK MANAGEMENT :)
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
thanks, this is starting of as an exciting and thought proviking chat. hopefully it will also be profitable
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
why are we experiencing futures price below spot? that's unusual.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Just ignore the trolls....and you will learn a lot here...with technicals, don't bother with asking why the market s going up...buy when the trend s up and sell when the trend is down....stop losses on all positions and you will be around for a long time...visit Simons website ...justonelap , for all the nitty gritty stuff on trading and investing
0 Kudos
Not applicable
definitely thought provoking. Profit-ability will depend on one's skill at managing risk. I believe the closing of any trade is more important than the opening (entry/exit).
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
very true. good advice by all. There are so many technical indicators to indulge in, how do you know which is most usefull or better yet forward indicating. I like the MACD, but i'm still struggling to read it correctly, i.e to know when it is depicting a strong upward or downward trend. I also feel there is something to be told in the spreads.
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
do you guys think it is possible to live the life where you trade from home in your underwear, make your money for the day by 10am, then play golf for the rest of the day:-)
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
If you trade the ALSI (Rams index of choice), you could possibly lose your underwear.
0 Kudos
Mol
Frequent Contributor
It depend what your handicap is
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
lol, i agree with the ALSI, for quick profits you need volatility and liquidity and massive leverage, this is also true for quicker losses. @MO1 i rather not say, i'm a fledgling right now, hence the need to play everyday.
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
RAMS plays in a very liquid market where leverage is extremely debatable.
0 Kudos
Mol
Frequent Contributor
I did not mean golf, but trading in your underwear?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
and against the trend.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
interesting choice of words... 'play every day'. However, moving on swiftly, leverage (and its utilisation or not) will be dependant on your account cash balance. Which instruments do you plan to trade? (Maverick) P.S. it is possible to loose your shirt! So play in your underwear.
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
lol, maybe not in your underwear, i meant not having to wake up early and dress formal.
0 Kudos
maverick7
Occasional Contributor
well i would like to trade the Alsi futures. Reason being, the levels of leaverage, trading costs, and the volatility makes the instrument more appealing than other leveraged instruments like CFD's and warrants.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, you can make a very good living trading ALSI, but it a full time job and more importantly massively boring .. better is to trade lazy, forget intra-day focus on end of day chart and trade that ..
my lazy system has me up over 1000 points since tuesday .. all I had to do was check chart every evening, takes about 3 minutes including downloading the data .. enter on tue at 4.30, another minute and now check every day at 4.30 for stops ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I think if you are successfully at trading the ALSI, it no problem being a full time job...as opposed to working fr a salary , but I get your point about being lazy....intraday can be made lazy ....and the best art is there is no fear of scarcity...plenty opportuniies
0 Kudos