Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Services

WarningGP
Contributor
Hi Simon, What do u think of the site powerstocks.co.za how bout getting charts and reccomendations like that so we can increase our trades, or do we already have something similar such as the technical analysis?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Skerp
Contributor
Hi, nothing like Powerstocks,teach you the basics and hold your hand while you're learning. They tell you exactly what they are doing and why.Eat their cooking as Buffet says!
0 Kudos
WarningGP
Contributor
With all the technical analysis by STD. Bank, most of their reccomendations have breached the stop loss level and they have sent out an Email to remind us to close our positions, even though most were stopped out by the Friday sell off, should we close our positions or stay in them and ride it out 'cos most of those stocks have recovered, wot you guys think?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Stop losses are used for a reason. Too stop you thinking!!!

when you think you get emotional and emotions cause bigger losses. Have a system and stick to it. Rather loose a small amount now and Live to trade next time than wait for the stock to "never???" recover.....

Friday was a show of how of how quickly the markets can change, what happens to your "thinking" if Monday and Tuesday the same 1000 points were shed? 300 points down and counting???

You would be so far lost you would at that point think "what the heck, I have nothing more to loose so I may as well wait for it to recover"...that could take days or years.

In this case you are lucky that stocks recovered so either cut small losses (or take small profits) or redo your TA and decide what's best. You got into the stock for a reason, is that reason still valid? If so keep it, if not sell it, simple, easy, no emotion.

Before entering a trade have an exit stratergy (both for profit and for loss)

these words from my many emotional losses and hard earned school fees....
0 Kudos
WarningGP
Contributor
I suppose the main reason is that thay are good quality shares bought on weakness/ corrections, such as MTN and are bound to recover not like "simmers"...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but these are trading strateies, not investments .. hence the stop loss is bbased purely on price and when it is hit yyou have ony one thing to do - exit ..
0 Kudos
Skerp
Contributor
Very clever,CPS & Simon,exactly the point. A strategy is exactly that,saves thinking,which is very difficult once one starts to lose,or worse make money! Have burnt my whole trading account with too much thinking in the past! Not fun!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That site looks pretty interesting. Anyone subscribed and made use of it yet?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yep, been a member since September 2009. No nonsense guys do the right thing and putting their own money where their mouth is.
0 Kudos
WarningGP
Contributor
So Simon and others that R familiar with the site, is the technical analysis advice on this site different to the powerstocks.co.za site? Simon said powerstocks is more a strategy site, whats the difference between the 2?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I didn;t say that .. I was refering to ouur TA .. I have no knowledge or expereince of powerstocks ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have been spending some time on their site looking at the various strategies and it looks like something worth a try. I think I am going to give it a try just to get started i.e. follow a strategy and stick to it. This way I can work on the discipline of sticking to a strategy while I up skill on the art of TA myself.
0 Kudos
WarningGP
Contributor
ok sorri ne Simon, so can a person develop a strategy with TA? is a strategy defined as an entry point, an exit point & a stop loss, and maybe a plan B incase of a violent correction?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, an plan B is realy just a scrambled plan A ..
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
Simon, when are we going to get bollinger ands and stochastics etc on the intra day graph on easy trader
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
some months away still (maybe 6) .. first new EOD charts within website .. then those charts become intra-day .. then easy trader gets upgraded to trading ability from within easy trader, portfolio management, stop loss and live charts etc. But this is a project running to late 2010 in entirity with releases every month ..
0 Kudos