Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share Magic Software

gunner
Not applicable
As a new investor, would it be valuable for me to purchase this or similar software? What other charting software options are avilable? All advice would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Taurus
Super Contributor
Go for Amibroker, it is the best value for money...
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
The fact that you can download and use Amibroker for free makes it the one to go for. Some functionality such as saving your work is not available until you license it though. A EOD data feed will have to be subscribed to as a seperate issue, but you will have to do this which ever package you use.
0 Kudos
maciver
Contributor
555 , could you give me the address for the amibroker free download .
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
maciver
Contributor
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
Would the local data feeds, eg ProfileData work with Amibroker?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
SFM also offers a discounted download, go to price charts ==> charting downloads
0 Kudos
Beep_Beep
Super Contributor
Data feed from Sharenet used on amobroker - very good. About r1200 for the year.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
as mentioned in another post, I use Online Share Trading watchlist to update my Amibroker, using custom formula (quite straightforward if you use the wizard). would allow you to try it out first before signing up for monthly feed. for history data, use price history on OST, and copy and paste into Excel, then save as CSV file. Then again, a custom formula in Amibroker can be setup to allow loading this format of data. Bit time consuming, but if you are only tracking specific shares, can work well.
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
Thx, so Amibroker's the way to go, it seems. $149 is half the price of the cheapest one of the others out there.
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Amibroker also has an add on called PowerScan which enables computer illiterates like me to write my own scans and explorations very easily.The permutations for writing scans, explorations and indicators are almost infinite. Costs an additional R360 approx.
0 Kudos
Bossie_Bek
Contributor
On the site Simon indicates is a local program called Shanal fully compatible with the available downloads - thisprogram is indeed flexible and very customisable - ALL indicators can be formated or redesigned if one wishes - indeed flexible - free demo from [email protected] costs about R700.00
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
i looked at Shanal too, but what i didnt like is it seemed a bit of a one man shop. just didnt get a solid feeling about the product. but that is just my opinion. is probably the cheapest entry though, so if cost is an issue, may work for you.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
If cost is an issue you can get pretty far with the online (free) java charts at this site and elsewhere. Buy a decent book on TA, or just use online resources to learn.
0 Kudos
Runbird
Contributor
IG Index is free and very good. www.igindex.co.uk
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
fair enough. was assuming someone wanted more than what is online, but i do agree that it is a great way to start.
0 Kudos