Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share Price Manipulation??

MMouse
Contributor
I notice on one of the shares I hold (no names mentioned) that at precisely 17h00 every day, somebody buys just 1 share which re-sets the share price for the day. Why would anybody do that??
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Why - "no names mentioned?" A fact is a fact!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Happens all the time with low-volume stocks that have bid-ask spreads that are wide enough for someone to fiddle. In those stocks, the price means nothing. Ignore it and look at the volume of bids and asks to know what people really think of the price, or better yet just bid or ask what you think it's worth, and wait until it gets hit.
0 Kudos
MMouse
Contributor
Thanks for the two responses. The "no-name" is Metmar if it is of any interest. Secondly, the only reason I became aware of it was when I was sold 1 share against my larger order.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Sometimes you'll see 1-share orders through the day. Exactly the kind of stock where you don't want a stop-loss because some idiot can hit it with a 1-share order, and you dump all your holdings!
0 Kudos